Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charlie 8 posts 87 karma points
    Jun 11, 2021 @ 20:55
    Charlie

System.ApplicationException: Could not create an index searcher with the supplied Lucene directory Azure

Followed docs on Umbraco website but my client received this error, which i cannot solve without an app restart :(

We have a single instance Web App that's scales to two instances on high CPU usage.

Its been fine for about a week and then suddenly the below error was reported when trying to save a new content item.

• Harikrishna Parmar 43 posts 262 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2021 @ 00:52
    Harikrishna Parmar

Hi Charlie

Did you try this?

Recommended configuration You need to add these appSettings:

<add
        key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock"
        value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage"
        value="EnvironmentTemp" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory"
        value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Server-Setup/azure-web-apps

This will fix your issue.

Jun 12, 2021 @ 13:16
    Charlie

Hi Harikrishna,

Those settings should be in the web config correct? Or do they need to be in the Azure app settings?

I have those in the webconfig.

the site is running on a single web app that scales to 2 instances above 70% CPU usage

• Tom Searle 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 01, 2022 @ 11:58
    Tom Searle

Hi Charlie, were you able to make any progress on this? We're experiencing the same issue.

Mar 01, 2022 @ 12:51
    Charlie

Hi Tom,

No not entirely, but its has got progressively better over time.

Are you adding the settings in web.config or the webapp?

Either Umbraco Cloud or Umbraco 9 appears to be a lot more stable in my opinion in regards to this issue :)

• Tom Searle 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 01, 2022 @ 13:08
    Tom Searle

At this point, I've added the settings in both the web.config and the webapp, even though I believe they should only be needed in the webapp.

I've opened a support ticket with Umbraco to see if they can assist. But for now, I've managed to get the site up and running by setting the LucineDirectoryFactory to sync on both the frontend and the backend instances:

<add key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory" value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.TempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

Although I don't know how well this will actually scale when it comes to it, considering it goes against the advice in the documentation.

And I'm 100% with you about umb9! Hopefully that will be an option down the line.

• Dhanesh Kumar MJ 158 posts 511 karma points c-trib
    Mar 01, 2022 @ 16:30
    Dhanesh Kumar MJ

Hi Charlie,

We have a single instance Web App that scales to multiple instances on high CPU usage

First of all, do not scale backend to multiple instances. If we need to scale the web app based on the traffic then, host the frontend & backend App separately and scale the frontend to multiple instances and backend do not scale (single instance).

And for this, we need to make some configuration changes recommended by Umbraco.

If you have any doubt about how to achieve this, please have a go through to this blog / Doc

Regards

Dhanesh Kumar

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft