Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joe Harvey 34 posts 174 karma points
    Jun 16, 2021 @ 18:41
    Joe Harvey

SetMediaFileContent() Doesn't Update Existing Media Item's Content?

I am trying to write some code in an extension of UmbracoApiController which grabs image data (from a provided URL as a stream) and then, depending on whether the relevant Umbraco Member has a related MediaItem (alias 'avatar') yet or not, create or update it accordingly.

For the later, I was please to see the MediaService.SetMediaFileContent() method, which sounded like it was devised for exactly this use case.

See: SetMediaFileContent API Documentation

However, from all my attempts, I cannot get this method to do anything!

It executes without complaint, but the pre-existing MediaItem content remains unchanged whatsoever. I am very confident that the second param, stream, is as expected (as my creation code runs just fine) and the first param, filepath, I am passing a string such as "/media/uafjgeov/myy_avatar.jpg" (which comes from IPublishedContent.Url())

Code Snippet to Create New Media Item (Working Fine):

// Create a new image record within the Avatars folder and assign ownership to the current member
    IMedia newAvatar = Services.MediaService.CreateMedia("My Avatar", folder, Constants.Conventions.MediaTypes.Image, member.Id);
    // Set the underlying media content
    newAvatar.SetValue(Services.ContentTypeBaseServices, Constants.Conventions.Media.File, avatarFilename, stream);
    // Save the new media item
    Services.MediaService.Save(newAvatar);

Code Snippet to Update Existing Media Item (Not Working):

// Set the underlying file content of the existing avatar record
      IPublishedContent existingAvatar = Umbraco.Media(existingAvatarUdi);
      Services.MediaService.SetMediaFileContent(existingAvatar.Url(), stream);

I am wondering if, like the create example, this update needs persisting once made? But SetMediaFileContent() returns void so even if so, I have no IMedia object available to pass to MediaService.Save()?

Has anyone had any success in using this method or have any idea what I may be doing wrong? As usual, the Umbraco documentation is fleeting at best and provides zero examples of use in context!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft