Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Jun 17, 2021 @ 08:22
    Fredrik Esseen

Enrich external data with Umbraco content

Hi all! We are looking to integrating external product data to our website but we want to be able to enrich the products with custom content for the web.

The plan is to create a custom tree with product categories and products and then add "standard" Umbraco fields like textareas, richtext editor and so on. And create a scheduled tasks that keeps the external data in sync.

What is the best way? Create IPublishedContent with a doctype that matches the data for each object? Or is there a better way..?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 19:07
    Søren Kottal

I would probably create the extended product data as a content node per product.

The nodes should have a product picker, so you can relate them to each their own product.

You could also import your product data into Umbraco as content node, and then enrich them as complete product nodes. But beware of versions - Umbraco saves each saved version of a node, so if you import products every hour, you get 24 versions of each product in your database every day.

To prevent this, you can use something like Unversion which automatically deletes obsolete versions of nodes, or you could make your importing code only save the product node, if it actually has any changes. I've used the last approach with success earlier. The good thing about this, is that you get to keep your editors versions, for easy rolling back.

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Aug 02, 2021 @ 06:47
    Fredrik Esseen

Thats pretty much the solution I ended up with :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft