Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Jun 21, 2021 @ 23:00
    Carlos Mosqueda

U7, building project from source???

Hi,

So we know u8 is out (we have a few of the those projects), and U9 is on the way or out already for the most part, but for an very large project we are using U7 (7.15.7) until we get a plan to port the large amounts of data to a U8 site.

We found a chane in 7.15 when we did an upgrade from 7.12 where the CSS folders topped allowing subfolders to be saved properly via the admin. Since U7 development is ceasing, I need to go in and fix or turn off the feature that was added by the Umbraco Headquarters as a security fix in one fo the controllers. (We are aware updating it may cause a potential risk that we may need to deal with or code along with). So I downloaded the source project.

However, I am trying to use the source to run the very basic project, but can't get the source to run the Umbraco project itself. My best guess from the file structure is that the Umbraco.Web.UI project is the project I would run to run a basic start up. So I set that as my startup project in VS. However, wehn I try to run it via IIS Express, the browser pulls up a page and says "A Server Error Occured, This is most likely due to an error during application startup"

Not quite sure the full issue or if anyone has a way to run the project or can tell me how to run the project so I can start testing my code for our work around.

I also tried doing whatever this is for the Grunt and NPM builds http://umbraco.github.io/Belle/#/tutorials/Building

I have screenshots of what I set my VS start up project with and an shot of the error page the browser brings up. Any pointers are much appreciated.

enter image description here

enter image description here

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 12:10
    Nik

Hi Carlos,

Have you tried running the build.bat file that is in the Umbraco source. I believe that this should build the belle project (Umbraco.Web.UI.Client) and then copy the output into the Umbraco.Web.UI project.

Once that has complete you should be able to run that project and the white screen normally goes away.

Nik

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 21:09
    Carlos Mosqueda

Hi Nik,

I evidently don' t know the steps for properly setting this up. I tried building the build.bat using the "grunt build" command, but the command keeps saying "Fatal error: Unable to find local grunt". even though I have npm installed and I installed Grunt CLI on my C:\ Drive. My project is on another drive than the C:\ if that makes a difference.

Grunt is not my forte. It is pretty out of my realm. I usually just build with VS and code much of this.

Has anyone done any videos on this? I can't seem to find much except for the text documentation

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft