Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy Boot 30 posts 150 karma points
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 11:40
    Andy Boot

Media Picker v3 to v2 hack - uSync to the rescue! But Why?

Firstly, I'm not against Media Picker v3 introduced in 8.14 as I'm a big fan of it's features and what it has to offer. However, I was forced to revert a data type back to v2 due to a console log error I was unable to find a solution for and was kind of urgent for me to find a solution due to a deadline on a project.

So I was mid project build when I decided to do an upgrade (not usually an issue). By this point I had already created a few pages and many fields with references to Media Picker v2. Anyways, not an issue I decided I'd just continue the build with a hybrid of media pickers by opting to adopt v3 henceforth.

Unfortunately whilst I was trying to configure a v3 data type I was unable to click options such as "Accepted Types" or "Image Crops". Looking in the console log I found I was getting "The controller with the name 'Umbraco.PropertyEditors.MediaPicker3.CropConfigurationController' is not registered.". Googled it and couldn't find an issue and really needed a solution ASAP.

Lightbulb moment... uSync! After comparing the .config files for an existing v2 & v3 data type I found that there were small subtle differences in the configuration, so I decided to change the <EditorAlias> and copied the <Config>. Did a uSync import and hey presto my data type is back to the old school media picker. There's a reason why it's award winning!

I'd be interested to know however why I was getting a console log error and why it wasn't working post upgrade. It'd be great to offer the option to change between the v2 and v3 so I don't have to resort to using uSync to perform this hack, but no doubt there were reasons at HQ for doing so.

Regards,

Andy

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 12:28
    Dan Diplo

I agree. I've raised quite a few concerns about the way the MP3 was introduced into Umbraco 8.14 without much consideration of the impact it would have. I put these in this issue discussion:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/10397

• Andy Boot 30 posts 150 karma points
    Jun 22, 2021 @ 12:47
    Andy Boot

Sounds like there may be a hotfix in the hopefully near future that can help with this then 👍

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft