Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan Reitsma 67 posts 233 karma points
    Jun 23, 2021 @ 17:17
    Johan Reitsma

How to build sites quickly with design freedom

Currently we are looking for a way tot build sites quickly with design freedom. We created our own Template but the design phase is taking a lot of jours. Im interrested in how other companies speed up the process of building sites.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jun 24, 2021 @ 04:06
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Johan

What are you meaning by "design freedom" ?

Umbraco is amazing in terms of configuring things how you want them, but that does also mean to some extent that each site is bespoke.

Having said that one thing that I did try a while ago was to setup a default solution in Visual Studio along with a default database. This then means you could copy / rename and you have ticked off a heap of repetitive setup work. This idea could also be replicated via packages whereby you setup a package just for your own use and export that. Then when you first create a site, you simply import the package.

I appreciate this isn't really the design aspect, but may reduced some of the time.

Another aspect is SASS and having core naming convention setup so that it is quick and easy to update some variables for the site colour scheme.

As time goes by I have also found that I am copying code / functionality from other sites as the need arises, so again maybe a sample site with popular layouts / functionality (image gallery, etc) might be helpful. The downside is that it is simply something else to maintain...

Hope these ideas help a bit...

Cheers

Nigel

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 24, 2021 @ 07:37
    Tom Madden

You could have a look at uskinned to see if that provides what you want.

https://uskinned.net/

I'm not associated with uskinned, but ocassionally help out a friend who uses them for all his sites.

regards

tom

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 430 posts 1668 karma points
    Jun 24, 2021 @ 08:42
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Thanks for the recommendation Tom.

If you want to try things out you can sign up for a free trial of our new uSkinned Site Builder here:

https://trial.uskinned.net/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft