Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ric Carey 50 posts 93 karma points
    Jul 15, 2021 @ 14:26
    Ric Carey

Umbraco 8 – Switching Variant Language Globally

Hi all,

I have a website which has multi languages and variants in it. As it stands they have been set up for all English Variants to be in British English. We have a new website launching in USA, and wanted to change the language variant to English USA for the website. This is fine to do via the hostnames and culture for the website itself (and get the correct values for the dictionary for that region) however all the pages for that version are currently attributed to the UK variant. Is there a way to change enmass the page’s content to the alternative variant? Or can this only be achieved via a manual task?

Many thanks, Ric

Jul 15, 2021 @ 14:52
    Ric Carey

One idea I have had is to export the site in uSync Content and then do a find in files and replace the culture=en-gb to en-us, but thats still messy.

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14697 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 15, 2021 @ 15:20
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

you can change the language assigned for the the existing language item in settings -

internally the languageID is what is assigned within the property values, so if you change the language from say EN-GB to EN-US - then Umbraco will rebuild the caches and the site will be assigned to that language. ?

Jul 15, 2021 @ 15:43
    Ric Carey

Hey Kev,

The issue is that its a multi-site instance and I still want to retain English GB for the UK site. (there’s added complication of adding Australia) and eventually then a translation in Spanish.

The current issue, is that when you add the new language as the version in hostnames, the content that’s currently there is set in GB. So in the content pages, there is no content for USA but there is for the GB variant - which isn’t being picked up by Umbraco, as it doesn’t think there is a valid version of the page because the set language is not populated for that variant.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft