Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Pauler 1 post 71 karma points
    Jul 17, 2021 @ 07:30
    Brian Pauler

Umbraco 8 shows install screen after deploying on GoDaddy server

I have developed site using Umbraco 8 and uSkinned theme. I am able to run in my local development environment as well as local IIS. but when I deploy it to GoDaddy it shows me install screen. I followed below are the steps.

1. Visual Studio Publish to folder.

2. Using above published folder I hosted site to my local IIS(it works on IIS)

3. I have created backup of database

4. Restored backup to GoDaddy SQL Server. I checked after restoreing, tables and data is there on GoDaddy SQL Server(I used LinqPad).

5. I used publish output created on step 1 and updated connection string and uploaded to GoDaddy.

6. When I browse site it shows me install screen.

Why it shows me install screen even if it has data in database as well as same set of file as IIS local? What I am missing.

Thanks for help

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jul 25, 2021 @ 09:26
    Marc Goodson

Hi Brian

Can the server you have published the site to, connect to the SQL database?

and if it can, the sql account it is using to connect, does it 'own' the database tables/schema? eg can you connect to the SQL server with those credentials and run Select statements etc against the Umbraco tables...

You'll get a more specific error, if Umbraco can't connect to the SQL Database at all: "a connection string is configured but..." message.

So either Umbraco is not reading the connection string, or once it is connected it's not seeing the tables. When you've worked locally you'll have had a SQL account for your local SQL Server, and if it wasn't a DBO it will have created the tables with it's own prefix , eg instead of dbo.umbracoTable...

Once you've restored the db to GoDaddy, you will probably have created a new SQL user login, which you'll have given access to the db, but maybe it's not a database owner, or mismatches with the other account...

... just a thought anyway that might explain your circumstance.

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft