Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jen 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jul 23, 2021 @ 14:51
    Jen

Version Control for files Uploaded to Umbraco site

We are considering using Umbraco as our CMS. One of the questions that came up was if there was an ability to do version control for files that are uploaded to the website built with Umbraco.

• Søren Mastrup 122 posts 563 karma points c-trib
    Jul 23, 2021 @ 20:59
    Søren Mastrup

Sure you can! An easy way to use version control with your Umbraco files is by using Umbraco cloud. All files pushed to your version control is afterwards pushed to your live environment.

You can read more about Umbraco cloud here: https://umbraco.com/why-use-umbraco-cloud/

• Jen 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jul 23, 2021 @ 21:07
    Jen

Actually, I probably should clarify my question - is there version control for documents that are uploaded to a Umbraco site for viewing, as in Word Docs, etc? (e.g., would an user be able to view a document they uploaded few months ago, and either replace it with a newer version or add the new version and view both documents)?

I'm assuming it's easy to do because date/time of all documents that are uploaded should be tracked in the Umbraco database, amongst other things, but wanted to confirm that it's been used for this purpose.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 23, 2021 @ 21:44
    Nik

Hi Jen,

Umbraco doesn't do version control per say, at least not with Media. With Content nodes there is the ability to roll back to previous versions but that doesn't exist with Media, which is what a Word Doc, for example, would qualify as.

Nothing stops you uploading as many versions of a word document to the media library, however it would get pretty messy to manage if you were doing it alot, and you'd need to update any references to the media item each time you wanted the site to be using the latest version.

What you could do, and it's something I built recently, is create a "Versioned Media Centre" of sorts with a bit of custom code. This would "kind of" give you what you might be after, but it's not functionality that is available out of the box.

Thanks

Nik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft