Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paulo 10 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 23, 2021 @ 15:37
    Paulo

Clone and Update multiple Umbraco websites with the same code but different data

Hi Everyone!

My company has a client with a very specific need, the client wants to have many temporal webpages (that may be online for a few months or a few years), each webpage will have different data (images, text etc...) but the same code, so we need to be able to develop and push changes once, to update all the live webpages at the same time, we also need to be able to easily clone (and delete) existing webpages as many times as needed. We are currently thinking about the best way to approach this and if Umbraco is the best tool to achieve it, the ideal process would look something like this:

Approach

Could someone advice in the best approach to achieve it, I believe that it would be about creating many different 'live' environments that feed from one unique Development branch? (If possible, I haven't tried doing so myself)

Umbraco enviroments

We are very worried about having something happening in Umbraco side and changing one of the 'Live' sites and causing some sort of mismatch (imagine that we have 15 live sites running at once, one of them goes wrong for whatever reason and now we cannot update to it), so maybe self host would be a better approach, but then we miss (I assume) some of Umbraco's best features.

Could someone guide us on the best set up/architecture to achieve all of this?

Thanks!

Paulo

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Jul 24, 2021 @ 18:55
    Mark Drake

Multi-tenancy is one possible solution.

This architecture is most attractive when you have multiple websites without any, or much, divergence between them. When I say divergence I'm talking about whether your sites more or less share all the same document types, templates, partials, macros, etc.

This feature is already supported OOTB. You won't need to spend any additional time or effort with development or devops.

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 25, 2021 @ 18:31
    Søren Kottal

Hi Paulo

If Umbraco cloud is an option, you can use the baseline feature.

Create a project (this would be your "development branch"), then create projects using your development branch as a baseline.

You can then push updates from your baseline project to the child projects, and the child projects can run with their own data.

• Paulo 10 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 26, 2021 @ 14:30
    Paulo

Thanks for the comments, I believe that the solution is actually easier than I thought, after investigating I realised that we can just open the domain (www.myexamples.co.uk), connect it with our umbraco cloud and use this "cultures and hostnames" option of the Content tab to have as many copies of the home page as we need, each one pointing to a different domain, I haven't tested yet but seems to do everything we need.

enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft