Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ji Pattison-Smith 6 posts 98 karma points c-trib
    Jul 25, 2021 @ 21:30
    Ji Pattison-Smith

Install screen showing instead of upgrade screen after upgrade to 8.15.0

I'm trying to upgrade a site I've upgraded many times before, but it keeps sending me to the install screen when I publish to my production server. It worked just fine on my dev machine with a backup from prod.

When I upgrade prod, this is the procedure I follow:

1. Make a copy of the file system and db exactly, updating the connection string.
    2. Check this is running correctly under a "launch" subdomain.
    3. Publish the code changes, ensuring the version number is the old one in web.config.
    4. Run the upgrade.
    5. Check the new site is running correctly.
    6. Point the IIS site at the new folder.

So I know the setup of the copied site is fine, because it works on v8.6.4. But as soon as I upload the dlls, I get the install screen. I've even tried just uploading the bin and Umbraco folders and editing the config files manually, with the same result.

Getting pretty frustrated with this now - any help much appreciated! Have checked through the forums and SO but not been able to find anyone with the same issue.

Jul 25, 2021 @ 22:13
    Ji Pattison-Smith

Further update - I can get to 8.6.8 no problem, but if I try an 8.7.x version I get the initial upgrade screen but then it gets stuck in an upgrade "loop" where it keeps telling me it needs to upgrade from a particular version to the same version. All very odd, never come across this before, and upgraded a different site from 8.6.4 to 8.15.0 just yesterday without an issue.

• Burnam562 1 post 71 karma points
    Jul 26, 2021 @ 07:29
    Burnam562

Even though it had rights to the database and made a successful connection and could modify the table (creating a new application) for whatever reason it did not have permission to read the existing stuff, I changed the permissions on the server (by creating a new sql server user and login with the same rights) and this allowed it to function.

I still do not understand it - I detached form the old server then I copied the database file(s) .mdf and .ldf onto the new server and attached.

The Site connected to the new server just fine - authenticated and the first time I had it - it created a new site because I told it to continue .. so I know it had rights to create etc.. but for what ever reason the users assigned to the were unable to read the database.

Aug 02, 2021 @ 18:25
    Ji Pattison-Smith

Turned out to be a schema issue. The database user's default schema was being set to the username by Plesk (even if that schema had been deleted) when it should have been dbo.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft