Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luke 11 posts 91 karma points
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 13:11
    Luke

Umbraco 8.15 invite user freezes

We usually create new users but want to move to inviting the users instead since that's just a lot more convenient for everyone involved.

I tested it this morning but it seems to not be working for us and I can't figure out why.

I have a sendgrid api config as smtp:

<system.net>
        <mailSettings>
            <!--API Key in Sendgrid-->
            <smtp deliveryMethod="Network">
                <network host="smtp.sendgrid.net" userName="apikey" password="[the key]" enableSsl="false" port="587" />
            </smtp>
        </mailSettings>
    </system.net>

(Also tested this without the deliveryMethod attribute)

All our User configuration is out of the box Umbraco. I don't receive any http errors or anything, the button just keeps displaying the loading circle and it just never returns (eventually times out)

I don't see any errors or warnings in the Umbraco Log or in Event viewer. Using the forgot password function from the login screen of Umbraco backoffice does work however, which (if I'm not mistaken) uses the same smtp settings and everything.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a way to fix it/figure out what is wrong?

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Jul 27, 2021 @ 14:11
    Brendan Rice

Hey Luke, does anything appear on the SendGrid dashboard logs?

Jul 27, 2021 @ 14:16
    Luke

Hello Brendan,

Unfortunately no, I can see the reset password mail in Sendgrid, but not the invitation

Aug 06, 2021 @ 13:08
    Luke

As a small update on this. I recently cloned the Umbraco 8 source code, installed it with an empty database and invited a user there with only having the smtp settings altered to use SendGrid and this worked.

Strangely enough if I install Umbraco 8.15.1 via Nuget in an empty project and do the same, this does not work.

Anyone have any idea on this? I'm not sure what I can run as tests anymore or what I can alter to make this work.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Aug 06, 2021 @ 13:26
    Brendan Rice

Maybe do a compare on the config files and see if there are any differences.

Try:

• web.config
    • /config/*
    Aug 06, 2021 @ 13:50
    Luke

Hello Brendan,

There are some differences as it's the source code, v8/contrib. So some differences in assemblies in the web.config. I don't really see any differences that would have an effect on this however. A clean install of both should essentially be the same otherwise, shouldn't it? If I only add the smtp settings. without altering anything else. I'm assuming both of them should work exactly the same, no other nuget packages, no custom code, nothing.

• Yiannis Vavouranakis 36 posts 76 karma points
    Nov 02, 2021 @ 16:57
    Yiannis Vavouranakis

Hello Luke.

I am facing the exact same issue.

Did you find a solution to this? Perhaps we should open a new issue on the issue tracker?

Regards, Yiannis

Nov 03, 2021 @ 08:09
    Luke

Hello Yiannis,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution to this yet. I remember trying this on one of the beta versions of umbraco 9 as well. I believe beta 3, with the same result. No invite emails but reset password emails would arrive.

We went back to creating a user and sending them the info and telling them to reset their own password, less safe but at least we could continue working.

• Janus Kamp Hansen 16 posts 153 karma points
    Jan 27, 2022 @ 16:54
    Janus Kamp Hansen

Maybe a little late but never the less. This is what we use, and it works.

<mailSettings> <smtp> <network host="smtp.sendgrid.net" userName="apikey" password="SG.xxxxxxxx" port="587" defaultCredentials="false" enableSsl="true" /> </smtp> </mailSettings>

Jan 28, 2022 @ 09:53
    Yiannis Vavouranakis

Hi Janus.

Is the "invite user" working for you?

I don't think it's the mail settings that are causing this. We have sendgrid mail settings as well, but the "invite user" functionality just breaks, with no indication what went wrong.

Regards,

Yiannis

Jan 28, 2022 @ 10:39
    Janus Kamp Hansen

Hi Yiannis,

Sorry, I oversaw that the issue may be related to Umbraco 8.15.1. I am running Umbraco version 8.17.1 and here it works perfectly with the mailsettings in web.config, that I've specified above. Often the e-mails end up in the SPAM folder though.

Jan 28, 2022 @ 10:43
    Yiannis Vavouranakis

Hi Janus, no worries.

I do need a small clarification though, because that might mean version upgrade for a few installations for us:

What you are saying, is that if I install 8.17.1 via nuget, and use sendgrid for my smtp settings, then the "invite user" functionality will work as expected, right? (or at least, it worked as expected for you).

Regards,

Yiannis

Jan 28, 2022 @ 10:45
    Janus Kamp Hansen

Hi Yiannis,

Yes.. that is correct.

Best regards,

Janus

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft