Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon 92 posts 166 karma points
    Jul 29, 2021 @ 08:42
    Jon

Hi,

I was after some advice.

1 - how many 301 redirects is too many 301 redirects?

2 - if someone is searching for a term that throws a 404 page 50 or more times should there be a 301 redirect put in place. For example if Google Analytics shows that 50 or more people have navigated to "/aaasssdd/" - which does NOT exist - should a 301 be added to the rewrite to capture this?

Thanks

• Patrick de Mooij 72 posts 622 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 29, 2021 @ 10:04
    Patrick de Mooij

1) I don't think you can really have too many redirects. However, it's good to have a good overview of them, so you don't end up with pages that have like 5 redirects before you get to the actual page.

2) If 50 people are navigating to a 404 page, then you should take a look at where those people are coming from. You can do this by checking the referrer. It could be that a website has a link to you but it ends up in a 404 page. But it could also just be a bot that is hitting your 404 page a lot of times.

Most importantly, if you think that the redirect will help people find the content more easily, then add one! However, if it's just non-important traffic then I don't really see the need for a redirect.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft