Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anna 16 posts 110 karma points
    Aug 18, 2021 @ 12:42
    Anna

Deploy multi-version-step upgrade to production

Hello!

I need to upgrade my old 7.6.15 Umbraco site to the newest 7-version, and I have read in several places that I need to do it in steps. For example in Paul Seal's instructions 5 steps are required until 7.11.1:

7.5.14 => 7.6.13 7.6.13 => 7.7.13 7.7.13 => 7.9.6 7.9.6 => 7.10.4 7.10.4 => 7.11.1

I'm wondering now if I need to update the production site after every update step (run nuget update and do db migrations by going to http://yourdomain/umbraco)?

Or can I do all the upgrade steps only on my development machine and then only push the code once to production and go to http://yourdomainproduction/umbraco only once? Is there some migration history or something that takes care of all the needed migrations?

Hope somebody can help :)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2021 @ 12:16
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Anna

Depends on the way you're doing the deployment.

Are you deploying just files or database changes as well.

If you are deploying just files then you have to do all upgrades on the production as well.

Umbraco upgrade it's you change files - run the site - umbraco is making changes in the database.

THanks,

Alex

Aug 20, 2021 @ 07:42
    Anna

Hello Alex,

thank you for the reply.

I imagine there will be some database changes at least in some of the steps.

But my question was more if I need to do the "change files- run site" procedure for each of the new versions (assuming they all include database changes) also in production. Or can I do it only once in production after I have done all the steps separately in development first?

So in development I do like this (in development I update the version with nuget):

7.5.14 => 7.6.13: change files - run site (umbraco makes db changes)

7.6.13 => 7.7.13: change files - run site (umbraco makes db changes)

7.7.13 => 7.9.6: change files - run site (umbraco makes db changes)

7.9.6 => 7.10.4: change files - run site (umbraco makes db changes)

7.10.4 => 7.11.1: change files - run site (umbraco makes db changes)

Do I have to do all these 5 steps in production as well, or can I just do all that first in development, and then deploy the newest files to production and run the site only once?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 27, 2021 @ 12:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Anna

It depends on how you deploy database changes. Are you deploying database changes as well?

If no you have to run changes on production as well

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 31, 2021 @ 11:28
    Anna

Hi Alex,

I do the deployment just by copying the files over ftp to the production server.

Do you mean there are different ways of deploying the database changes (other than running the site and have Umbraco do it)?

Do you mean I have to run the site and apply the db changes in production several times (in my example 5 times)?

Thank you for your help, anna

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft