Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay Crowe 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 24, 2021 @ 08:18
    Jay Crowe

Umbraco downgrading is not supported error

Hi,

I have created a site and deployed it to my server. One of my colleagues has then gone and modified the site (changing content etc.) and all was working fine. I then switched over the dns of the domain to point it at the site to effectively make the site live. Something has happened and I am now receiving this error message:

Local version "8.15.2" > code version "8.8.0", downgrading is not supported.

If I switch the database back to a previous version (before the changes were made on the initial deployment) everything then works fine again but obviously it is showing the old content.

Has anyone had this issue before and knows how to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Jay

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 24, 2021 @ 20:46
    Marc Goodson

Hi Jay

Have you at some point had the site using Umbraco version 8.8.0 and have you at some point upgraded the site to be Umbraco 8.15.2???

When Umbraco starts up, it checks and compares the appsetting UmbracoConfigurationStatus and the migrations table in the database and the version of the Umbraco.Web/Core dlls in the bin folder...

if it finds a later version of Umbraco in the dlls it will trigger an Upgrade to run any migrations against the database, and when complete update the appsettings UmbracoConfigurationStatus to match the target version...

So the message you are getting is sort of saying is something is out of sync...

You can see where it is thrown in the source code:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/d428a4543f33bb7094cf7db5f6b6fdc2d1de3063/src/Umbraco.Core/RuntimeState.cs#L153

So it feels like the Umbraco files (local version) is a later version of Umbraco than the dlls (code version) to trigger that error to be thrown at boottime...

So a fix would be to make sure you have the dlls and the Umbraco code matching the version the site should be running under.,.

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft