Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Oct 02, 2021 @ 09:04
    J

What packages can i upgrade immediately?

Hi

I installed the latest version of Umbraco 8 (8.16) targeting .Net 4.7.2 and immediately in Visual Studio i see a number of available updates (35 in total).

I initially started with updating CodeDom only before installing U8 but that caused issues.

I have now installed U8 with the default starter kit and wondered what components could i safely upgrade or components i shouldnt upgrade in order for Umbraco to run correctly?

Considering the only thing i have installed on this site is the starter kit, Im not too fussed if any updates knock off the styling as eventually the starter kit pages, nodes would be changed.

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14697 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Oct 02, 2021 @ 09:24
    Kevin Jump

Hi

I wouldn't upgrade any of them, unless you have a specific thing you require from an updated package?

as far as i am aware there are no security issues with the package versions shipped with Umbraco and you are more likely to introduce an compatibility problem upgrading then you are leaving them where they are for the installation.

if your own code is using a feature from a later version of a library (such as Newtonsoft.Json) then you can often get away with updating it, but i am not sure the gain from just updating is actually worth the hassle that might follow.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft