Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owain Jones 55 posts 384 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 18, 2021 @ 15:46
    Owain Jones

Examine search query inside hangfire task returning 0 results

I've followed Sebastiaan's example for allowing dependency injection in Hangfire Tasks, as found here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-8/96445-hangfire-dependency-injection#comment-316037

But, when I inject the IExamineManager and perform a query, I get 0 results... enter image description here

I know the query is correct as the exact same code returns results when used in an API Controller: enter image description here

Does anyone know what would be causing this? And are there any workarounds?

• Marc Goodson 2138 posts 14321 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 18, 2021 @ 16:33
    Marc Goodson

Hi Owain

Just a thought, but have you tried wrapping your examine stuff inside a scope? in case it's a lack of transient scope on a background thread that's causing the issue?

using (_scopeProvider.CreateScope(autoComplete: true))
     {
             // Do your examine reading stuff here
     }

There is an answer from Shannon here that gives a bit of context:

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/102676-triggering-index-rebuild-via-hangfire-causes-objectdisposedexception-in-nucache#comment-321129

or might give you a steer to an answer.

regards

Marc

Oct 18, 2021 @ 16:49
    Owain Jones

Hi Marc,

No dice, just tried that but also got 0 results :( enter image description here

I bet it does have something to do with it being a background task and not having a proper scope/context though.

I'm tempted to create an API that the HangFire task just pings to get results, but that just feels a bit hacky...

• Simon Ulmbrant 34 posts 154 karma points
    Oct 18, 2021 @ 16:51
    Simon Ulmbrant

Try remove _scope?.Dispose(); in DisposeScope().

I had issues when rebuilding indexes with hangfire and this line disposed the umbraco context causing the rebuild to crash.

Oct 19, 2021 @ 09:08
    Owain Jones

Hey Simon,

Thanks for your suggestion, no change though unfortunately :(

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 18, 2021 @ 21:07
    Nik

Hey Owain,

I think I had a similar problem when trying to do something similar with Hangfire.

For some reason, I found that some of the Umbraco services didn't work if you "just" passed the existing context. I never figured out the reason for that but instead I ended up creating my own and re-registering all the services using the following block of code:

var serviceContainer = new LightInject.ServiceContainer();
    foreach (var t in (Current.Factory.Concrete as LightInject.ServiceContainer).AvailableServices)
                serviceContainer.Register(t);
    serviceContainer.ScopeManagerProvider = new PerLogicalCallContextScopeManagerProvider();

See if doing the same makes a difference for you :-)

Nik

Oct 19, 2021 @ 08:58
    Owain Jones

Hey Nik,

I just tried using that inside of my composer, but I get the exception "No factory has been set" on Current.Factory. enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft