Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad Bisgard 8 posts 88 karma points
    Oct 28, 2021 @ 21:45
    Brad Bisgard

Can no longer create or save a doctype after upgrade to v8.17 from 8.16

Get an error on saving any doctype: "Validation: The Alias field is required."

I can create new content with existing doctypes. I upgraded from 8.16 to 8.17; immediately got some SQL errors, but followed a path of others where I deleted out the project Dlls, and it worked. Guessing something went wrong with the install, but not sure path from here, without losing new data. Using usync, so have that. Also, could try to downgrade back to 8.16 or restore to earlier git commit if that is recommended. Other dev may grumble.

Thanks!!

attached image for validation errors

• james whittington 18 posts 116 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2021 @ 23:31
    james whittington

This is because of the change to add tabs back in. the back-office files your site is running have not updated - either browser cache is holding them, or the upgrade didn't correctly replace the umbraco files in your solution.

To fix this we followed these steps:

1. hard delete local copy of umbraco folder
    2. rebuild
    3. update client depedency number
    4. rebuild
    5. reload

and you should now be able to update a doc type...

Note that step 2 assumes you installed umbraco with nuget, which will restore the files on rebuild.

If you are sure that the files in the umbraco folder are correct you should be able to get away with updating the client dependency number in /config/clientDependency.config and rebuilding. If you are using Chrome you might also need to do a clear cache and hard reload, Chome's cache is infamously strong.

• Brad Bisgard 8 posts 88 karma points
    Oct 29, 2021 @ 16:51
    Brad Bisgard

That was it, James! By Step 2 it was resolved. And yes, it was through Nuget.

• Chris Ashton 57 posts 89 karma points
    Jul 17, 2022 @ 21:52
    Chris Ashton

I was experiencing the same issue when upgrading from 7.15.7 to 8.18.4 in one jump. James's suggestion worked a treat for me!

TaVM

• Arne 15 posts 68 karma points
    Dec 22, 2021 @ 14:35
    Arne

I am experiencing the same issue after upgrading to 8.17.1 from 8.15.1

I have taken the step of deleting the umbraco folder and rebuilding the project..., but I still can't save existing document types. Everything else is working fint, I can create new documents with tabs. The problem is only related to documentTypes pre-upgrade.

• Arne 15 posts 68 karma points
    Dec 22, 2021 @ 16:29
    Arne

I managed to solve the problem.

Several document types had a section named "Generic properties". When I converted this section to a separate tab, everything resolved.

I do not know why this solved the problem, however some of my document types were previously imported from an older Umbra version (v.6). It is possible the section "Generic properties" originates from there and this was the cause of the problem.

• Roger Jarl 22 posts 115 karma points
    Feb 25, 2022 @ 14:08
    Roger Jarl

Thanks Arne.

Your tip saved my day :)

• Enkosi 11 posts 86 karma points
    Oct 02, 2023 @ 04:41
    Enkosi

Thank so much, this was my exact issue and you saved me a lot of time.

• Stephen Garside 6 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 09, 2022 @ 06:50
    Stephen Garside

Late to the party but I tried all the above and it still did not work. I found the issues is because the upgrade forced 3 of my properties to have a null value in the PropertyTypeGroupId filed in the CmsPropertyType table. A quick SQL statement to add them into the existing group did the trick, so :

update CmsPropertyType set PropertyTypeGroupId = 11 where Id is null

Then a quick IISReset to clear cache and all working again :)

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 13, 2022 @ 19:37
    Eric Schrepel

I was hoping this solution would also work for Member Types, but following James' steps above, I still can't edit any Member Types. I get the "alias field is required" error despite following the steps, clearing caches, etc. And I checked the CmsPropertType in SQL per Stephen's suggestion, but there are no blank IDs there.

This is for version 8.18.5.

• Rob Shaw 37 posts 170 karma points c-trib
    Jan 05, 2023 @ 14:48
    Rob Shaw

Hey all,

We had the same issue even after following James' steps on version 8.18.5

What we found to work was renaming the group of fields to something else and then saving the doc type/composition.

We were then able to go in and update individual fields in that group, hope that helps!

It's also worth noting that we only had one group/tab collection of fields so if you have more, it might be that you need to rename them all to something else (you can then of course rename them what they were previously)

• Yirmiyahu Tesler 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 28, 2023 @ 08:24
    Yirmiyahu Tesler

I recently faced this issue after upgrading to version 8.18.5, and after spending several hours trying to find a solution, I was finally able to resolve it.

The reason for the error is that the 'postSave' HTTP request is failing with an error message that says 'Alias field is required'. Fortunately, there is a solution available that can help fix this problem

To begin, navigate to the Umbraco > Js > umbraco.services.js file in your project. Within this file, locate theformatContentTypePostData method. This method is responsible for formatting the data that is sent via the HTTP request.

You will notice that the alias property is missing from the group's properties that are picked from the groups. To fix this issue, add the alias property to the properties that are picked from the group model, as shown in the code below:

var saveGroup = _.pick(g, 'inherited', 'id', 'sortOrder', 'name', 'alias'); // Add 'alias'

By adding the alias property to the saveGroup object, the alias is now attached to the group information in the request. This should resolve the error you were encountering.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 28, 2023 @ 08:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Yirmiyahu it should also contain type: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/v8/dev/src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client/src/common/services/umbdataformatter.service.js#L75

This indicates strongly that files have not been properly replaced while upgrading, I recommend you compare your files against the Umbraco 8.18.5 zip file (see beyondmerge section here: https://cultiv.nl/blog/how-to-diagnose-umbraco-upgrade-problems/ ) and if anything, just replace all the Umbraco/* files with the files from the downloaded zip file.

• Paul Crowdy 40 posts 111 karma points
    Jul 27, 2023 @ 10:01
    Paul Crowdy

I also had a group called "Generic properties", and fixed this issue by clicking on "Reorder", then dragging this group into "Convert to tab" drop zone (v8.18.8).

I can then save the doc type.

• Iamjoe 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 25, 2023 @ 17:37
    Iamjoe

(V8.18.4) I wasn't able to resolve this with any of the above suggestions. However, I was able to simply delete the property that doesn't have an alias, make my edits and save. In my case it was the "Generic properties" field.

You can tell it doesn't have an alias by hovering your mouse over the name of the field. Aliases will appear as a mouse over tooltip.

After deleting the "Generic properties" field, it was automatically re-added to that document template.

According to the xml at wwwroot/bin/Umbraco.Web.xml:

The generic properties tab is responsible for setting up the properties such as Created date, updated date, template selected, etc...

It seems to be expecting it to be on a tab in the template, though I'm not entirely sure. I'm happy with my work-around until my company decides to update

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft