Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Developer 7 posts 97 karma points
    Nov 28, 2021 @ 13:43
    Developer

Update Site from Umbraco 7.2.1

Hi I need to update a site that is working on Umbraco 7.2.1. I am currently interested in reaching the best way to 8.0 in which versions it is best to choose for an effective update safe and without bugs?

tnx

• Marc Goodson 2154 posts 14385 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Nov 28, 2021 @ 14:17
    Marc Goodson

Hi Developer

The version specific upgrade guide is a useful resource for your journey:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Upgrading/version-specific

But from your starting point, you should be able to upgrade directly to

(all you are looking to here is upgrade the database to this version, no need to reimplement everything and get your site running on 7.6.14, as long as you can login to the backoffice, and run the upgrade on the db, that completes this first step.

Then you should be able to go to

Essentially these two specific steps are required due to the introduction of UserGroups in 7.7, and you need to be able to login to trigger the upgrade, and this only appears possible from 7.6...

Do look at the version specific guide, as this tells you what is breaking and what you should add or remove to the solution...

From 7.7.14 you should be able to go directly to 7.15.7...

and now you have a choice of testing and fixing up the solution to run as 7.15.7... as you can't strictly speaking 'upgrade' to V8... but you can migrate your data from your 7 solution... if it is 7.14+ ...

The information of how to migrate a 7 database to a brand new V8 solution is here:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8

(you can go as high as v8.5 directly from v7 - and then on from there to the V8 latest... and then to v9!)

There is a package for V7 which healthchecks your database for known issues with migrating data to V8: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/pre-migration-health-checks/

There is a package called Proworks.Umbraco8.Migrations that helps with the migration https://www.nuget.org/packages/ProWorks.Umbraco8.Migrations

... doh... which reminds me there is a great blogpost form ProWorks that explains the whole damn process better than me wittering along here!

https://www.proworks.com/blog/archive/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-version-7-to-version-8

regards

marc

Nov 29, 2021 @ 09:47
    Developer

hi , thank you for the answer .

about this: "But from your starting point, you should be able to upgrade directly to

(all you are looking to here is upgrade the database to this version, no need to reimplement everything and get your site running on 7.6.14, as long as you can login to the backoffice, and run the upgrade on the db, that completes this first step."

How can I update only the DB? To fit the version? I do not need to update from NuGet?

tnx again

• Marc Goodson 2154 posts 14385 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Nov 29, 2021 @ 10:15
    Marc Goodson

Hi Developer

I tend to do a dry run with a copy of the live database and files locally first, to work out what the steps need to be, and in what order, when I come to apply to live, it depends on the site but I tend to take another copy of the live site, run through my proven upgrade steps and then switch the bindings at the end to the upgraded solution to minimise downtime.

So when I say, no need to reimplement everything after upgrading to 7.6.14, is the observation that you aren't going to 'go live' with 7.6.14...

So what I mean here is run the Nuget upgrade in Visual Studio and run the site, login to the backoffice and trigger the upgrade of the database.

When complete you can click around the backoffice and make sure all ok.

Now IF you were to find an error in the front end of the site.. caused by a change in syntax, you could fix this now and make sure your site runs well on 7.6.14, but if your fix is unnecessary in 7.7 as the problem was fixed in the core, you would have wasted your time...

So what I tend to do is once the database has upgraded to 7.6.14 and the backoffice appears ok, then I'll 'commit' the snapshot of the solution at this time, and then move on to upgrade via Nuget to 7.7.14 and do the same, then move on to Nuget to 7.15.7... when I'll then put the full effort into testing and fixing the site.

At the end I'll know I have a release plan... Copy live database, deploy 7.6.14 snapshot and upgrade database deploy 7.7.14 snapshot and upgrade database, deploy final 7.15.7 and upgrade database - good to switch to be live...

... if that makes sense! (basically once I was stuck resolving a bug on an early version of Umbraco during and upgrade and the next release fixed it... so could have saved me hours!)

regards

marc

Nov 30, 2021 @ 06:53
    Developer

Ok. thank you! You were very helpful

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft