Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2021 @ 08:12
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Using a js module on frontend

I have a question which might seem trivial or stupid to many, yet for me it is complex and I just can't get my head around it.

I have some frontend javascript code, which I Html.RequiresJ(...) and all works nicely.

Now I want to use a javascript library from my js, in this case "js-cookie". I do anyother Html.RequiresJ(...) and the library's js file is loaded no problem.

The question is: how do I use the library code, which is a javascript module? In my javascript file, I would normally do

import Cookies from '/path/to/js.cookie.js'

but of course this gives a browser error:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Cannot use import statement outside a module

When I request my javascript file with the "type=module" option set, the import is accepted, but now I get

Uncaught SyntaxError: The requested module '/node_modules/js-cookie/dist/js.cookie.min.js' does not provide an export named 'default'

Trying to import it like this

import { Cookies } from '/path/to/js.cookie.js'

Gives me this error:

Uncaught SyntaxError: The requested module '/node_modules/js-cookie/dist/js.cookie.min.js' does not provide an export named 'Cookies'

How can I reference this (or any other) js library in my javascript? I am missing some basic understanding here :-(

Kind regards, Mikael

• louisjrdev 11 posts 84 karma points
    Nov 29, 2021 @ 13:36
    louisjrdev

Try: import * as cookieModule from "/path/to/js.cookie.js"; or just import "/path/to/js.cookie.js"

See MDN: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/import

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft