Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Beth F. 2 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 03, 2021 @ 14:27
    Beth F.

Where to Create Custom Controllers and Models?

I am working on pagination for a test site. I am very new to Umbraco, Razor Markup, ASP.Net, C#, and the whole lot. My background is in JavaScript and React, but I'm trying to learn the software.

I found several forum posts (including this one) that appear helpful in setting up pagination, but they all talk about customizing the controller and/or the model and I'm very confused on where to do that.

For this project, I am doing 100% of the coding in Visual Studio 2022. I am using Umbraco version 8.17.1. In JavaScript, I am used to finding files such as a controller in the file tree and I see 3 options in my current file tree under Umbraco/Js (main.controller.js, navigation.controller.js, and umbraco.controllers.js). Is one of these what I'm looking for or am I way off course (because these files sure don't look like the controllers other people show)? When searching for "model" I get a more confusing result.

Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated. Also, if I didn't include information you need, just let me know and I will update the post.

• Lucas Michaelsen 32 posts 232 karma points
    Dec 03, 2021 @ 20:51
    Lucas Michaelsen

Hello Beth,

Nice to hear you try to jump out of the conformt zone, and try some new things.

When we talk Pagination on the server-side, then Umbraco´s angular files, as main.controller.js, navigation.controller.js, and umbraco.controllers.js is out of the images.

We talk more about the C#. A good sugestion is start with som intro on the C# world, like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyV-OQNeRM

It give you and undstanding of Controllers, Models, Razor. But just for the record, this video is good if you coding for a Umbraco v.8.*

For Umbraco v9.* the teknoligi tree have changes a little from ASP.Net to .NET So a good video for that is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ck9LIBxO14

Try it out, and fell free to write agian and i´ll dig even more up for you :)

• Beth F. 2 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 03, 2021 @ 20:54
    Beth F.

Thank you! I will check those videos out and comment back here again if I have more questions.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft