Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• WTrux 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 14, 2021 @ 20:27
    WTrux

Took over Umbraco website. Original developer is gone. Could use a kind soul to answer a few questions.

Hello,

I started working at a new business and took over an Umbraco website (first time hearing about it) built by a third-party developer that is no longer in business. I have login details to change some text and add a couple preset page types. But I wanted to adjust actual html, or do anything customizable, etc, I am unable (I'm a knowledgeable fellow in general and looked around extensively).

So if someone was willing to spare a few minutes, I would like to know:

1) Would an Umbraco website have been built in some other system and Umbraco simply used to manage it by the end user afterward?

2) If that's true, where would the system be that stores the actual html files and allowed alteration of them.

I'm a Wordpress user and am hoping for some system that allows me to actually alter the site as a whole instead of just adjusting a few premade pages.

If anyone can explain a bit more about what Umbraco is to a guy used to Wordpress it would be greatly appreciate. The owners of the website are wonderful, but weren't given much information by the original site builder, so I hope to figure things out for them.

Thank you to anyone who can help me understand this.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 15, 2021 @ 13:47
    Craig100

Hi, Do you know what Umbraco Version you're dealing with? If you log into the back office and click on a help symbol you should see it. OR if you have access to the web.config file (in the site's root) you'll find it near the top, something like

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.6.3"/>

• WTrux 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 15, 2021 @ 16:21
    WTrux

Hello, thank you very much for getting back to me. I appreciate it. It says I have version 7.4.2.

• CJ Swingle 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 15, 2021 @ 17:49
    CJ Swingle

Once you understand Umbraco, you'll never go back to Wordpress

1) no

Try watching some videos to help https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/

Document Types This is the most important thing you need to learn about Umbraco. Understanding the concept of Document Types and how to work with them is the foundation of your Umbraco knowledge.

Templating This covers the basics of how to work with the templating system in Umbraco and get your HTML markup into the CMS.

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    Dec 15, 2021 @ 21:44
    MB

Yes - I support Wordpress sites as well as developing with Umbraco, and I utterly despise Wordpress. However, moving from Wordpress (and that whole ugly LAMP thing) to Umbraco and the various .Net/MVC concepts, is a significant paradigm shift that takes quite a bit of unlearning before you have that uh-hah moment, and start to understand the benefits.

Dec 15, 2021 @ 18:03
    Craig100

Wow, 4.7.2 is over a decade old now so you're dealing with WebForms rather than full MVC as we are now.

Yes a site "could" have been built elsewhere and Umbraco just tagged on for the CMS'y bits. I've definitely seen that before but it's very unlikely.

Back in those days a handbook was written, I have a copy here as a pdf, that you might find useful. The only online link I can find is: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/files/vetmed/support/webdev/Umbraco-v4---Editors-Manual-v1.0.0.pdf Just bear in mind that different users can be shown different sections in the UI depending on whether they're an admin or an editor (I think that still applied back then!).

You should be able to modify templates superficially (i.e. just front end html, css and javascript) from the back office under the "Developer" section and "Templates" if memory serves. The real power of Umbraco is in the DocTypes.

If you have the codebase available you're looking for .cshtml files.

Other than that, as the previous poster has said, you might get some benefit from the V7 tv tutorials though there's a big difference between V4 & 7.

HTH

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    Dec 15, 2021 @ 21:37
    MB

I think he said 7.4.2 not 4.7.2 ?

v7 documentation should be totally applicable to this.

Dec 15, 2021 @ 21:59
    Craig100

New glasses are on the way!

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2021 @ 07:47
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Hi,

I was in the same boat like you 2 years ago, coming from another CMS. Although Umbraco is structured very nicely, it took me a while to get my head around it.

I would be happy to share my experiences with you to give you a jump start, if you are interested let me know.

Kind regards, Mikael

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft