Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Wilkinson 132 posts 211 karma points
    Jan 17, 2022 @ 08:51
    Steve Wilkinson

MDF based website won't run on IIS

I know Carlos has a very similar if not the same issue https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-9/106583-how-to-deploy-local-umbraco-9-to-a-hosting-vps-running-iis

I’m trying to get my first v9 website running on our development server, it works fine in Visual Studio Code on my local PC.

It is running off an .MDF file rather than SQL server.

I’ve run “dotnet publish --configuration Release” and then navigated to the following folder: “xxxxx\bin\Release\net5.0\publish” and uploaded the contents of the publish folder to the root of the IIS site, and then copied the Umbraco.MDF file to the xxxx\umbraco\Data (I had to create the Data folder) - like Carlos, publish didn't put the MDF file into the release files.

When I tried to run the website, I couldn’t see anything happening until I commented out: /if (env.IsDevelopment()) { app.UseDeveloperExceptionPage(); }/

Now I’m getting the “Install Umbraco” screen!

• Scott Leslie 28 posts 143 karma points
    Mar 18, 2022 @ 11:51
    Scott Leslie

did you get an answer to this anywher?

• Steve Wilkinson 132 posts 211 karma points
    Mar 18, 2022 @ 13:09
    Steve Wilkinson

I gave up and converted the MDF file to full SQL Server.

Not the most helpful answer, I know :(

The biggest downside with v9 is the cost of hosting rises massively compared to v7 - I've got small v7 websites which cost a couple of quid a month.

• Scott Leslie 28 posts 143 karma points
    Mar 18, 2022 @ 15:16
    Scott Leslie

Yeah . Working with sql server works - just ant to have. Simple local db example working …

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft