Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rudi George 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 01, 2022 @ 15:42
    Rudi George

Template update results in website unavailability

Hello folks!

We have some legacy webapps running on umbraco 7.6.6.

On researching a recent issue with users being unable to preview changes to Umbraco pages, I found the template field in document properties was empty and that entering a template in this field fixed the preview problem.

When I updated the template on the document in our live environment, I found the save operation took longer than expected with the result being the entire website was unavailable.

To make matters worse, despite restoring a backup of both the Umbraco database and the webapp folder on the web server, the website was still unavailable.

Eventually we re-published the website to IIS which resolved the issue.

I know from experience that asking this sort of question regarding an old version of a tool will almost always generate the standard reply of "update to the current version and you'll be fine". However there are multiple websites involved, and with no direct upgrade path this will take a lot more time than we currently have to spare.

I would appreciate the advice from anybody with similar experience on how best to mitigate the risk of updating document settings in Umbraco. As somebody who is new to this CMS, are issues prone to occurring during updates to documents such as a template change? And if so, what is the best way around them? Additionally, why did the folder backup restore not work on the web server but the re-publishing of the web app did?

Thanks in advance!

Rudi

• Diljith Peter 9 posts 80 karma points
    Aug 08, 2024 @ 06:04
    Diljith Peter

Hello Rudi,

Umbraco relies largely on caching for efficiency, and updates to templates may not always result in a thorough cache refresh. To mitigate this, try manually deleting caches or recycling the application pool in IIS to trigger cache invalidation. This may help ensure that changes are properly reflected without generating downtime.

After restoring backups, the website remained unavailable until we republished it to IIS. This could be due to application pool difficulties. Sometimes the application pool fails to resume properly after a restore, preventing the site from loading properly. Recycling the application pool or restarting IIS will often solve these problems.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft