Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Feb 14, 2022 @ 18:01
    Gordon Saxby

Run Umbraco v9 locally in IIS

How can I run Umbraco V9 in IIS, locally? It seems to be quite tricky! Much harder than it was for V7.

I have setup a local domain and added it to my hosts file. I created a site in IIS and pointed it to my solution folder, where the .csproj file is.

When I try to access the Umbraco website via "mylocalsite/umbraco/", I get a 404 error.

I assume it must be possible to run V9 in IIS? Would it be better to publish to a separate folder, outside of the project?

Running the site from Visual Studio using IIS Express works (although it gets upset if the IIS site is also enabled).

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 17, 2022 @ 12:05
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Gordon

I am not sure if you have seen our documentation about the subject

If not then i have included the link here

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/fundamentals/Setup/Install/iis

Hope this can help you a step further

/Dennis

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Feb 17, 2022 @ 14:53
    Gordon Saxby

Thank you - I did get it running eventually, but then realised that it's not necessarily a good idea if developing in Visual Studio and using uSync and models builder. As editing stuff while running in IIS causes the changes to be stored in the wrong place (because my IIS root is not the project root).

I have setup IIS locally as a deployment test, but will do development by running it from within Visual Studio.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft