Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten Ørgaard 5 posts 95 karma points
    Feb 15, 2022 @ 07:20
    Morten Ørgaard

Getting HTTP Error 500.30 after successful publishing to Azure

I have created my first Umbraco 9 VS Project.

When publishing the application to Azure everything seems to be successful until I run the page then I get:

HTTP Error 500.30 - ASP.NET Core app failed to start Common solutions to this issue: The app failed to start The app started but then stopped The app started but threw an exception during startup

Troubleshooting steps: Check the system event log for error messages Enable logging the application process' stdout messages Attach a debugger to the application process and inspect

• Edvin Mujalo 6 posts 76 karma points notactivated
    Apr 12, 2022 @ 06:44
    Edvin Mujalo

Hello Morten

Did you find for this issue a solution? I have the exact same Error with Umbraco 9.

Kind regards Edvin

• Ambert van Unen 175 posts 817 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2022 @ 08:30
    Ambert van Unen

Have you checked the logs on the App environment? You can easily see them using the Advanced Tools.

Also easily reachable by changing your URL of the app from https://examplesite.azurewebsites.net to https://examplesite.scm.azurewebsites.net

• Sebastian Ferrari 12 posts 84 karma points
    Apr 27, 2022 @ 23:46
    Sebastian Ferrari

Any news on this? I have the same error publishing on internal servers. Logs are empty.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 28, 2022 @ 00:10
    Sebastian Ferrari

Found the issue, the media folder is missing. I'll work on solving that and will confirm if that is only the issue.

• Edvin Mujalo 6 posts 76 karma points notactivated
    Apr 28, 2022 @ 13:41
    Edvin Mujalo

It would be great if you could find a solution. And please let me know about it

May 17, 2022 @ 23:51
    Sebastian Ferrari

I've made a workaround about this and just be careful on using it because this may only applied to my particular case.

I've added a new task into the yaml file to copy the entire media folder into the package to deploy. If you check this Umbraco Deploy doc, I've just took the step #5 (adapting the variable values to fit my data).

Example:

- task: CopyFiles@2
        displayName: Copy media content
        enabled: true
        inputs:
          sourceFolder: $(umbracoDeployMedia)
          TargetFolder: '$(publishDir)\wwwroot\media'

This solution may not be the ideal but it is fine for now in my case and all is working as expected.

@Edvin, I'm sorry the delay on this response.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Sep 26, 2022 @ 18:50
    Laurence Gillian

In case it helps someone else:

• Check you are publishing using the correct runtime for your hosting environment? If you are targeting the wrong runtime, you won't even get a log file generated
    • Check which media provider you are using?
    • If you are using the file system provider, make sure the folder exists
    • If you are using Azure, make sure a connection string is present
  • Richard Jackson 17 posts 127 karma points c-trib
    Jul 31, 2023 @ 14:32
    Richard Jackson

I've just run into this exact issue - deploying Umbraco 10 from Azure DevOps to an Azure App Service - so would love to get some help here.

• Check you are publishing using the correct runtime for your hosting environment? If you are targeting the wrong runtime, you won't even get a log file generated

Where can this be checked?

[UPDATE 1] Having looked through the artifact created at the Build step there's no folder called 'media'

[UPDATE 2] Have confirmed that both local Umbraco project & Azure App Service are targeting .NET 6.0

[UPDATE 3]

For transparency here are the associated pipelines and the wwwRoot contents from the Azure App Service, showing that files have deployed, but it's just not enough:

DeploymentYAML

ReleaseYAML

Contents of wwwRoot

[UPDATE 4]

I've managed to get an ASP.NET Core application deployed just fine, though copying that pipeline exactly doesn't work, so it's an Umbraco-specific setting/problem

[UPDATE 5]

Confirmed that it IS an issue with the missing /media/ folder. Used Azure App Editor, then ran this command (the project is UmbracoBasic01): \> dotnet UmbracoBasic01.dll Unhandled exception. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: C:\home\site\wwwroot\wwwroot\media\ Huge thanks to Rick Butterfield for that direction

[UPDATE 6]

So I'm having a morning where everything just works, so here is the pipeline I've made which seems to not trigger the /media issue. The important part appears to be making sure the pipeline goes through Build->Publish->Deploy phases, which I'm unsure I fully acknowledged before:

trigger:
    - master

pool:
      vmImage: 'windows-latest'

variables:
      solution: '**/*.sln'
      buildPlatform: 'Any CPU'
      buildConfiguration: 'Release'
      # Change webAppName to the name of your Azure App Service web app
      webAppName: 'jacksorjacksorumbcls02azdo'

steps:
    - task: NuGetToolInstaller@1

- task: NuGetCommand@2
      inputs:
        restoreSolution: '$(solution)'

- task: VSBuild@1
      inputs:
        solution: '$(solution)'
        msbuildArgs: '/p:DeployOnBuild=true /p:WebPublishMethod=Package /p:PackageAsSingleFile=true /p:SkipInvalidConfigurations=true /p:PackageLocation="$(build.artifactStagingDirectory)"'
        platform: '$(buildPlatform)'
        configuration: '$(buildConfiguration)'

- task: PublishBuildArtifacts@1
      inputs:
        PathtoPublish: '$(Build.ArtifactStagingDirectory)'
        ArtifactName: 'drop'
        publishLocation: 'Container'

- task: AzureRmWebAppDeployment@4
      inputs:
        ConnectionType: 'AzureRM'
        azureSubscription: 'ServiceConnectionMadeInAzDo'
        appType: 'webApp'