Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Feb 16, 2022 @ 14:17
    Gordon Saxby

Copy Members from v7 to v9

The current website is v7.15.6, it has useLegacyEncoding="true" and passwordFormat="Hashed".

What options do I have for getting the member records copied into a new v9.3.0 website?

I'm happy to write an export / import program but how do I deal with the hashed passwords?

Or - is there an existing method / package(s) to do it already?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 17, 2022 @ 11:55
    Dennis Aaen

Hey Gordon

Perhaps this is could be an option for you to use this package https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/cmsimport

With this package you will be able to export and import content / members between two Umbraco installations

I hope this can be a solution for you

/Dennis

Feb 17, 2022 @ 14:56
    Gordon Saxby

I did see that package, however the free version is (too) limited. It may be an option to purchase the Pro version but this is a one-off requirement for 1 website, so ideally I'd like a no-cost option, hence looking into creating my own solution.

I'll put the options to the one that pays and see what he says! :-)

• Jamie Townsend 59 posts 279 karma points c-trib
    Feb 17, 2022 @ 14:59
    Jamie Townsend

I did something similar, the passwords are hashed, so you need to set it to be 'Clear' then do your import of users. Then set it back to hashed.

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:06
    Gordon Saxby

Which end do you set the password encryption to "clear" the v7 (from) or the v9 (to) - or both?

Did you use the CMS Import tool, or do it with a custom solution?

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:08
    Jamie Townsend

The clear is set on the site you are importing into.

I just used SQL to get the members info into CSV then memberservice to import.

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:12
    Gordon Saxby

So, were the source passwords encrypted and you just stored them like that?

What encryption method was the source using? Wouldn't you need to set the same machine key on the new site and use the same encryption method so that the passwords still worked?

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:14
    Jamie Townsend

So in the database the password is hashed, so I exported it 'AS IS'. The encryption method doesn't matter as we aren't encrypting/decrypting anything.

Exactly, set the same machine key.

Then during the import, because it's set to 'clear' the password is stored exactly as it was previously 'hashed value'. Then you change the config to be Hashed again - which then makes the login work.

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:17
    Gordon Saxby

Ah, OK, thank you.

I assume you have to use the same encryption method again, it looks like v9 has a different set and default to v7.

Where do you set the machine key in v9?

Feb 17, 2022 @ 15:19
    Jamie Townsend

Ahh that may be an issue then, I didn't import into V9 it was slightly different to what you are trying to do, but if the hashed method was the same it would have been ok.

In that case, you may need to roll your own membership bits, or just make everyone reset their password. As far as I am aware it's a one way encryption.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 18, 2022 @ 12:19
    Richard Soeteman

Hi All thanks for mentioning CMSImport.

It used to work with hashed passwords before 7.9 But the hashing changed in V8/v9 What you can do is create a new password and let CMSImport send a password reset mail. That's what most users do.

Best,

Richard

Feb 18, 2022 @ 12:33
    Gordon Saxby

Thanks for the reply Richard. I think I need to investigate CMS Import (and Member Export) in more detail.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft