Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• TheFiorano 6 posts 76 karma points
    Feb 25, 2022 @ 17:35
    TheFiorano

New to Umbraco - import Site

Hi Umrbraco Experts,

We are looking to bring our website in house and have recieved a zipped up version of our Umbraco site.

To start with Ive installed Umbraco on a new AWS EC2 instance and its connected to a SQL Server Express backend. Screenshot of (localhost is attached as well as out SQL Server configurationenter image description here)

Is there any way I can import our full site?

Many thanks for any advise

Fiorano

enter image description here

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Feb 25, 2022 @ 17:51
    Sotiris Filippidis

Why did you install an empty Umbraco instance?

If you have received the full set of files as well as a database backup, you should copy the files and restore the database backup on SQL Server, then edit the connection string in web.config. (I know I make it sound simpler than it actually is, but that's the process).

Now, if you really need to restore your Umbraco content from the old site to a new, empty instance, the only way I could see it being done would be to have the same Umbraco version set up on the empty site as your old site, and then you should set up uSync Content Edition on both sites. (Provided you can run your old site somewhere - even on a local machine).

Then you could do a full export and get the uSync-generated files to your new site and import them (structure and content).

This could work only if you don't have other packages installed on your old site, otherwise you should install them on the new, empty site as well.

Feb 28, 2022 @ 12:48
    TheFiorano

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Im completely new to Umbraco and guess I didnt realise whats innvolved hence the installation of a new umbraco instance on a new test server.

As mentioned Ive received the following 'zipped' folders/files enter image description here

So, are you saying I should also try and get a database backup too and import this to my SQL Server Express instance?

Sorry for all the newbie questions and I really appreciate any advice

Feb 28, 2022 @ 16:15
    TheFiorano

Hi Again,

Ive located and imported the .bacpac file to SQL Server. Ive also copied all the files to the default wwwroot folder.. If you could kindly explain the next steps I'd be very grateful

Many thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft