Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Josefine 26 posts 138 karma points
    Mar 09, 2022 @ 18:20
    Josefine

Can't find Umbraco Project template in Visual Studio

I have installed the Umbraco Template but I can't find it when I want to create a new project from Visual Studio. Any tips?

enter image description here enter image description here

Josefine

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Mar 09, 2022 @ 19:15
    Carlos Mosqueda

Probably a dumb question I am asking, but did you restart Visual Studio? You should see the templates. Also what version of Visual Studio are you running AND do you have ASP.Net Core installed on your computer? Do you have the latest .Net SDK installed?

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Install/install-umbraco-with-templates

enter image description here

Mar 09, 2022 @ 20:07
    Josefine

Thanks for your questions.

1. I have Visual Studio 2019 - Community. I have restart Visual Studio (also the computer)

2. How can I see if I have ASP.Net Core installed?

3. Yes, I follow the guide and have installed latest .Net SDK

Mar 09, 2022 @ 20:28
    Carlos Mosqueda

Hi,

Core theoretically should be 6.0 SDK. My assumption is you can run all the 'dotnet' commands in your command line.

If you run CMD and run the command

dotnet --version

You should see 6.0.x

And if you run

dotnet --info

You should see some "Core" info come up.

dotnet --list-sdks 

lists your SDKs

You also ran

dotnet new -i Umbraco.Templates::*  

And if you do a

dotnet new -all

Do you see the Umbraco Project templates?

2019 Community should be perfectly fine to run the project.

Also, just try searching for "Umbraco" a few more times in the new Projects section in Visual Studio.

I just did an update of my SDK to 6.0 and installed the templates via the dotnet commands on another computer, and followed the steps and it took me a few times searching for "Umbraco" and it finally came up.

It didn't come up the first time, but I cleared the search box a few times and it came up.

Mar 09, 2022 @ 20:59
    Josefine

I have tried to clear the search several times but still can not find Umbraco in Visual Studio

Mar 09, 2022 @ 22:35
    Carlos Mosqueda

Hmmm. Odd.

What if you do a

dotnet new --list

What I see in mine enter image description here

I didn't see it at first when I ran the --list and I did the and definitely didn't come up on in the -all command.
    I ran the install script again.

dotnet new -i Umbraco.Templates::*

and it looks like the command uninstalls and reinstalls the templates.

You can try to do it in the Windows "user" section of your system as well.

CMD running as admin

C:\Users\WhateverYourUser_Is> and run the Umbraco Templates command there too. Not sure if this will make any difference.

And if anything try a full uninstall and try again.

dotnet new --uninstall Umbraco.Templates::*

Maybe run Visual Studio as an admin as well to try.

And then try the install again. Then restart Visual Studio and try searching a few times to see if they come up.

Have you been able to create an empty ASP.Net Core project in the past using Visual Studio project selector?

Mar 10, 2022 @ 12:06
    Josefine

I've tested everything you wrote but I still can not find Umbraco in Visual Studio

dotnet new --list

This is the first time I want to new create project with ASP.Net Core. I can create this

Mar 10, 2022 @ 19:36
    Carlos Mosqueda

That is very strange that is happening. Your system has the templates and everything needed to see those templates, Visual Studio is just not seeing them.

My last suggestion would be to see if you can download and install Visual Studio 2022 Community and set up in the installer, select all the C#, Core, etc. selections you would need, let it do all the SDK installs it needs with the latest ASP.Net Core 6 SDK, ASP.Net 4.8, etc. , and then see if you can see the templates with the newest version of Visual Studio.

By all indications you have shown, your VS2019 version should be able to pull up those templates, but since 2022 is built to handle all the newest SDKs in the past few years, maybe it will be able to create a new cache and see the templates.

Mar 10, 2022 @ 20:15
    Josefine

Thank you so much for all your help!

I called my friend and we solved it by running dotnet version 5 and installing Umbraco again. Now I can see Umbraco Templates in Visual Studio 2019 :)

• Chester Campbell 98 posts 209 karma points
    Mar 10, 2022 @ 20:13
    Chester Campbell

I had the exact same issue. I use Visual Studio 2019 for my daily work which is 99% .Net Framework and not Core projects.

I followed the instructions to install the Core Umbraco templates but no matter what I did I could not get them to show up in the "Create New Project" dialog in Visual Studio.

I had assumed that the problem lay with the way my "home" directory is managed in my work environment ... it's aliased to a server and not actually on my local machine.

However, then I decided to do a Core 6 project and discovered that Visual Studio 2019 does not support Core 6. So I installed Visual Studio 2022. Lo and behold, when I opened the "Create New Project" dialog THERE were the Umbraco templates listed!

So, now I don't think it has anything to do with my environment. I think those templates just don't work in Visual Studio 2019.

You can run VS 2019 and VS 2022 concurrently so you might as well just download and install it. BTW you'll love the new intellisense. I swear it can read my mind. The code practically writes itself. lol

Mar 10, 2022 @ 21:49
    Carlos Mosqueda

Thanks Chester for verifying. I am able to run Visual Studio 2019 and get the templates to show up, but VS2022 has the Core 6 SDK built right in. I too run them concurrently, but since I have VS2022 installed, I am wondering if that is now why it shows up in VS2019.

When in doubt, go with the brand new shiny version and bypass any headaches.

• fatmazayed 41 posts 122 karma points
    May 30, 2023 @ 12:54
    fatmazayed

i am using vs 2022 already installed .net 5&7

Host:
      Version:      7.0.5
      Architecture: x64
      Commit:       8042d61b17

.NET SDKs installed:
      5.0.404 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]
      7.0.203 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]

i tried to install new templete of umbraco 11 it gives me

PS D:\HelpProjects> dotnet new install Umbraco.Templates

The following template packages will be installed: Umbraco.Templates

Umbraco.Templates (version 10.2.0) is already installed, it will be replaced with latest version. Failed to install Umbraco.Templates, the template package is invalid.

how can fix that

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft