Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bh 405 posts 1382 karma points
    Mar 21, 2022 @ 15:42
    bh

So I built my first Umbraco v9 and went with the SQL Express option. But, that *.mdf file is like 10X the size of the *.sdf databases I'm using to seeing with Umbraco <= v8.

So I converted my *.mdf to *.sdf The resulting database was 97% smaller filesize. That's a huge plus for me running 100+ sites on one webserver.

I changed my connection string in appsetings.json from this...

"umbracoDbDSN": "Data Source=(localdb)\\MSSQLLocalDB;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\\Umbraco.mdf;Integrated Security=True"

...to this...

"umbracoDbDSN": "Data Source=|DataDirectory|\\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1;"

I ran my site locally and I get the error message below. So v9 doesn't support SQLCE out of the box? Can someone point me to what I need to do for v9 to run on SQLCE?

BootFailedException: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details. -> Umbraco.Cms.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Could not check the upgrade state. at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Runtime.RuntimeState.GetUmbracoDatabaseState(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory) at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Runtime.RuntimeState.DetermineRuntimeLevel() at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Runtime.CoreRuntime.DetermineRuntimeLevel() -> System.ArgumentException: The specified invariant name 'System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0' wasn't found in the list of registered .NET Data Providers. at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName, Boolean throwOnError) at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName) at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.DbProviderFactoryCreator.CreateFactory(String providerName) at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.UmbracoDatabaseFactory.getDbProviderFactory() at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Persistence.UmbracoDatabaseFactory.getCanConnect() at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Runtime.RuntimeState.TryDbConnect(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory) at Umbraco.Cms.Infrastructure.Runtime.RuntimeState.GetUmbracoDatabaseState(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory)

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 21, 2022 @ 15:49
    Matthew Wise

Hi,

SqlCE doesnt ship with Umbraco 9 anymore instead you need to install a package - https://www.nuget.org/packages/Umbraco.Cms.SqlCe/9.3.1

Support for SQLLite is coming in v10 I believe, which should be a better alternative, as SQLCe is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Thanks Matt

• bh 405 posts 1382 karma points
    Mar 21, 2022 @ 16:49
    bh

@MatthewWise you rock! That did the trick! Many thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft