Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 48 posts 108 karma points
    Mar 24, 2022 @ 17:26
    Simon

Umbraco 9 boot failure (fresh install)

A fresh install of umbraco 9 running on IIS + Sql Server is only serving up the "Boot Failed" default error screen from umbraco. Looking at the logs I find the warning message below:

Configured database is reporting as not being available. Warning System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

However, this is false for a few reasons:

• Works in VS on my machine (database on server)
    • Works in IIS on my own machine (database on server)
    • IIS and SQL server are running on the same machine so it's not a network issue

So, the only conclusion I can draw is something else is wrong but no errors are presenting themselves to help with diagnostics.

Any ideas? Next steps?

Small addendum: this is the first .net core site on this server so it is possible we're missing an install or update but that doesn't seem to be the issue since umbraco is writing to its own logs.

• Ambert van Unen 175 posts 817 karma points c-trib
    Mar 24, 2022 @ 19:47
    Ambert van Unen

So if I understand you correctly, you have a issue with the IIS and the SQL server on the same machine?

First thing I'd say is Sql server settings for perhaps SQL authentication or windows authentication. And there is always that nasty setting I keep forgetting about when doing a fresh install (of which I ofcourse, can't remember right now)...

This would indeed result in your site not having access to your SQL server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft