Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Boholdt-Petersen 4 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 02, 2022 @ 10:08
    Anders Boholdt-Petersen

How can I be sure if the unattended upgrade is activated and working in Umbraco 9

Hi everyone

How can I be sure if the unattended upgrade of Umbraco 9 is activated an working, and how often will the unattended upgrade run?

I have inserted the example from https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Upgrading/general to the appsettings.json-file. When I check the installed version of Umbraco 9 via the user interface, I still have version 9.3.1 installed. I can see that there is released a new version (9.4.1). I have tried to reboot the application pool on the IIS Webserver, but Umbraco is not been upgraded.

Now I have used Visual Studio 2022 to manually upgrade my original project to Umbraco 9.4.1 via NuGet, and after that reinstalled Umbraco 9 on my webhost. This is a very difficult methoed, because I after the new upload should reinstall Umbraco as a new installation, and after that make changes to the appsettings.json-file. I will be glad if some person here can help me so the unattended upgrade feature will work.

Below is the content from the current appsettings.json-file: { "$schema": "./umbraco/config/appsettings-schema.json", "Serilog": { "MinimumLevel": { "Default": "Information", "Override": { "Microsoft": "Warning", "Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime": "Information", "System": "Warning" } } }, "ConnectionStrings": { "umbracoDbDSN": "Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1" }, "Umbraco": { "CMS": { "Unattended": { "UpgradeUnattended": true }, "WebRouting": { "UmbracoApplicationUrl": "https://umbraco.cms-test.dk/" }, "Global": { "Smtp": { "From": "omitted", "Host": "omitted", "Port": "omitted", "Username": "omitted", "Password": "omitted", "SecureSocketOptions": "StartTls" }, "SanitizeTinyMce": true, "UseHttps": true, "Id": "5aab4b18-100f-4578-ac00-62dd4974ac43" }, "Hosting": { "Debug": false }, "Content": { "ContentVersionCleanupPolicy": { "EnableCleanup": true } }, "HealthChecks": { "DisabledChecks": [ {

}
            ],
            "Notification": {
                "Enabled": true,
                "FirstRunTime": "0 * * * *",
                "Period": "1.00:00:00",
                "NotificationMethods": {
                    "email": {
                        "Enabled": true,
                        "Verbosity": "Detailed",
                        "FailureOnly":false,
                        "Settings": {
                            "RecipientEmail": "omitted"
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

}

}

Thanks in advance for your answer, and have a nice day.

Regards, Anders

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 02, 2022 @ 13:02
    Nik

Hey Anders,

The "Unattended Upgrade", doesn't download the latest files regularly and update them.

Historically, when you've updated Umbraco using Nuget/Manual process, you would get presented with the "Upgrade screen" where you had to login and confirm you wanted to continue with the upgrade. What the "Unattended Upgrade" does is bypass this step when the site first upgrades after an update.

So you still have to update your site to the latest Umbraco and deploy it so that it runs.

Hope that helps clarify what that option does.

Thanks

Nik

• Anders Boholdt-Petersen 4 posts 74 karma points
    May 27, 2022 @ 14:26
    Anders Boholdt-Petersen

Hi Nik

Very thanks for your answer in this thread. I apologize for the late reply.

1. So lets us say that I via NuGet have installed the Umbraco 9.5.0 on my webhost, and activated the unattended upgrade feature.

After one month or two, Umbraco is been released in a new version, e.g. 9.5.1.

Because I now see the question from Umbraco 9.5.0 that a new release is released, I first click on the download-link, and after that use Visual Studio 2022 to upload and after that reinstall Umbraco in version 9.5.1.

The unattended upgrade feature is only do so I not should login on the Umbraco main website and approve that I will download - is it understand correctly?

1. What files do you recommend that I take backup of and reinstall in the new Umbraco 9.x installation (e.g. appsettings.json etc.), so I not should make all my settings again when the upgrade-proces is completed?

I using the small SQL CE database that Umbraco install on my webhost as database.

1. Have Umbraco another feature there download and install updates automatically, so I not manually should do that, also when I run Umbraco on my own webhost?

Other CMS-systems have this feature, so I not manually should upload new versions. I not understand if Umbraco not have this feature.

I have looked on the "Upgrading Umbraco" section on the main website, but here they still refer to the unattended upgrade feature. I not can run .NuGet directly on the IIS server there host the site where I testing Umbraco.

Thanks in advance for your answer, and have a nice day.

Regards, Anders

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft