Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex 4 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 02, 2022 @ 14:15
    Alex

Builk publish from angular controller

Hi All,

Firstly thanks to Umbraco and everyone on here, over the years I've had my developer butt saved a few times by the solutions and pointers I've found like lurking these forums.

I've come across an issue that I just can't seem to figure out. So I was hoping someone (anyone? please!) might have come across it and can offer some tips or signpost to a possible solution.

Context: I have a Umbraco instance with 1400+ nodes. Each of those nodes needs to have a value from one property-editor transferred to another (That part is actually solved and works 😅 ).

Problem: However, when it comes to publish all those nodes with modified content, I run into an issue, where by after 45 or so the site crashes and visual studio shows me this error:

enter image description here

Resulting in:

enter image description here

Sidenote ( I remember seeing an issue raised on Github from the Umbraco source repo, but I cant find the link. If I find it I'll update my post - that issue talked about bulk saving/publishing content-types I believe ).

I've looked through the source code for how the listview bulk actions work but for the life of me can't seem to figure them out... I've tried doing the same through a custom component with composer but reach the same issue.

Does anyone have any advice on where I can go from here? Is there a hidden method for bulk publishing or are there alternative ways of bulk publishing child nodes with modified content?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Marc Goodson 2148 posts 14353 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 14, 2022 @ 09:58
    Marc Goodson

Hi Alex

In the past I've approached this kind of Migration using 'The Queue' plugin.

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/the-queue/

Essentially the plugin seems like something that 'just' allows editors to send a large number of content items to 'a queue', which is then published in batches at regular intervals, to circumvent timeouts on large sites etc... or help find that one item that is erroring and breaking the full republish etc...

... but there is more to it than that...

You can add nodes to the queue, and instead of publish, have the queue execute a 'custom action' against the item.

so instead of publishing, the queue will run in batches your custom code -which could be your migration of the property data...

https://github.com/KevinJump/Our.Umbraco.Queue

You create a custom action by implmenting this interface:

https://github.com/KevinJump/Our.Umbraco.Queue/blob/master/Our.Umbraco.Queue/Actions/IQueueAction.cs

Anyway would prevent the timing out of a large processing job and give you visualisation of progress.

regards

Marc

• Alex 4 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 14, 2022 @ 12:52
    Alex

Hi Marc,

Wow that sounds really cool. Thanks 😊

I'll give wiring it up a go and post back with my results 🤞.

Best,

Alex.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft