Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Amalie Wowern 144 posts 273 karma points c-trib
    Apr 04, 2022 @ 09:38
    Amalie Wowern

Umbraco must install or upgrade - but no upgrade

Hi

I have just deployed my umbraco 9.4.1 project to azure Im using a copy of my developer database

When I browse to the websites backoffice, i looks like it wants me to upgrade/install umbraco

But it is not possible for me to login to Umbraco and authorize the update/install

I would expect not to upgrade/install umbraco because the database is already up to date And i would expect to login in because i already have a working database

Im getting this message in the log file

Umbraco must install or upgrade

Does anyone have a solution for this

• Damian 61 posts 342 karma points
    Jun 12, 2023 @ 22:53
    Damian

Almost certainly way to late to help OP here - sorry. However, I just battled this and, in interest of helping some future passerby - my solution had to do with urlrewrites(!) enforcing lowercase urls and trailing slashes.

/install/api/PostPerformInstall was being redirected to /install/api/postperforminstall and subsequently /install/api/postperforminstall\

The issue wasn't straightforward to track down as the log entries were unrelated/non-existant. (Not sure there's a way to gracefully help this in the future either as the browser redirects were the issue and that doesn't trigger much server action to create more helpful, directed log messages)

We've had these canonical rules in place for years (on all of our projects) in order to keep the urls consistent.

Now in the Umbraco v10+ years is the first need to update the rules as Umbraco expects to create routes outside of /umbraco/* where I would expect it to be contained (eek!). These are two urls that needs to be excluded from any rewrites:

• /install
    • /Account

There are likely more in the list and it's most unfortunate. I ended up having to remove all the rewrite rules in order to complete an upgrade from 9.5->10.x That's not a terrible thing on the local instance but is untenable on a production instance via CI.

I know I'm not the first to discover the issue and hopefully somebody else can point this thread to a satisfactory resolution to the above. In the meantime, hopefully this helps somebody else should you come across it.

:h5yr: !

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft