Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Apr 08, 2022 @ 15:15
    nickornotto

Problem updating/ editing a tab titled "Generic properties"

I have a few doc types with custom tabs called "Generic properties". This was an inheritance of Umbraco 6 where the tab with generic content properties was called like this - I wanted to add some properties to the same tab so I created a tab with exactly the same name as the generic tab.

In Umbraco 7 this generic tab was renamed to "Info" and the custom "Generic properties" tab was no a problem, it just existed as another tab.

After upgrading to Umbraco 8 and then Umbraco 9 I noticed that the tab called "Generic properties" no longer displays when editing the page using it. In Umbraco 8 the tab displays in the content but it has the name "Properties" (not "Generic properties").

I tried to rename the tab in doc type but that did not work (the update did not save): when trying to rename the tab in Umbraco 8 - I put the cursor in the tab name field and try to write a new name - the tab simply disappears from the doc type!

When editing the tab name in Umbraco 9 it appears to take long time to save, looks like saved and then the tab name does not change in the page content.

Also in Umbraco 7 I now noticed - it is not possible to change the tab name either from "Generic properties" to another name. Saving has the same effect like in Umbraco 8 - the doc type saves but when coming back to the doc type or the content - the tab name persists as "Generic properties".

I have reproted the issue on github: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/12240

• Marc Goodson 2122 posts 14213 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 08, 2022 @ 19:05
    Marc Goodson

Hi nickornotto

Yes, in early Umbraco versions it was possible to add properties to the Generic Properties tab, but over time it became to be realised that this tab should be reserved for content specific information, eg the Url, recent update history, and it was ranamed as the Info tab.

However if you've upgraded it's completely possible to still have properties appearing on a new General Properties tab.

Actually, the logic is, if a property isn't assigned to a tab, it will appear on this generic tab.

So you won't be able to rename that tab.

But what you should be able to do is create a new tab, and drag properties onto the new tab. and then the extra General Properties tab will disappear...

It's along time ago now that this all happened, I vaguely remember once, I had a property that had disappeared from tabs, after an upgrade, but still had content, and the only way I could get it back was by using SQL to add it to a new tab, and then after an app pool recycle all was ok!

Hope that helps give some insight.

regards

marc

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Apr 09, 2022 @ 13:21
    nickornotto

Hey, thanks. Yes, I already noticed that the tab will disappear if I remove all properties within it.

That solves the problem!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft