Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 03:00
    Bobi

Migrating sql database from local to azure sql

I am using Microsoft Data Migration Assistant to migrate data from the local sql server to the staging azure sql, but for some reason there are discrepancies with the data (i.e., the data changes from the local sql server are not appearing on azure sql). How do you migrate sql server local to sql azure easily? Am I missing something here? Shouldn't Migration Assistant do this if it is successfully migrating?

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 14:32
    Yakov Lebski

You have several ways the simple one is generate bacpac and import on azure database

Apr 21, 2022 @ 16:01
    Bobi

Does this work with an existing database instance in azure, or will I have to delete the database in azure first? What is the workflow?

I am not sure why data migration assistant is not working to update the azure database using the local database's copy.

Also, what is the workflow when making and testing development changes - is a local database used for that purpose and then azure updated with the local database or is there another safe workflow to ensure data integrity and no losses?

Apr 21, 2022 @ 18:08
    Yakov Lebski

You can do it in several ways to do it

1. Import as new db
    2. Import to existing empty db
    3. Also you have option to deploy db to azure from sql managmnet studio
    Apr 22, 2022 @ 21:03
    Bobi

Thanks! For option 2 "import to existing db", how do you do that importing in azure sql specifically to an older version of a db already there on azure?

Apr 23, 2022 @ 15:24
    Yakov Lebski

if it empty db should import it as is

Apr 23, 2022 @ 20:26
    Bobi

Thanks. Then for content editors who make changes to the azure sql database, what do you suggest for developers when they're testing using an out-dated (for content) local sql db? How can the developers review the live db without causing changes to the live azure db, especially if they are updating the umbraco version for example?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft