Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 05:08
    andrew shearer

Git reporting phantom changes in umbraco 9 project

hello - most times when we build + run umbraco 9 in our development environment, git reports file modifications to certain Umbraco Forms and USync files when they haven't actually changed. Probably some sort of CR / LF / special character issue it thinks has changed, but the file comparison doesn't report what is different. Anyone else get this and know what the issue is? would be great to hear how you fixed it :) thanks

Umbraco 9

Visual Studio 2022

Git/Github

• Arvind 4 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 05:18
    Arvind

I've seen that with Umbraco Models when they are regenerated. GIT Reports changes but nothing is shown in the comparison. Could be CR/LF changes but I never bothered to look more into to as when I stage the files, they just disappear and don't get committed anyway.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 07:35
    Nik

Hey Andrew,

Can you be a bit more specific about which files they are? Are they the ones in App_Plugins?

If they are, it is likely because dotnet core build/publish will often regrab those files from the nuget packages, overriding what you have there already even though the files are identical.

With the way dotnet core works, you "shouldn't" need to include the App_Plugin files from packages in your repo, only custom plugins you've created.

Thanks

Nik

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 07:57
    andrew shearer

Hi Nik - yes files under app_plugins, sorry yes I can post a screenshot of them when back at work tomorrow. But yes a git ignore rule is probably a smart idea, thanks! I am still curious what it thinks has changed when it’s just the same file it’s reinstating

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 21, 2022 @ 08:08
    Nik

I suspect it could be on the last modified date or something similar which is why if you staged the files they wouldn't all disappear as not having changed as the true delta isn't compared until you stage the files. But that is a guess.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft