Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Smith 38 posts 141 karma points
    Apr 22, 2022 @ 08:56
    Chris Smith

Hi.

With v7 coming to end of life my team have 8 v7 sites to migrate. Most of the basic ones we'll probably migrate from 7 to 8 to 9 using the usual documented techniques.

However 3, and 1 in particular this is going to be pretty much a none starter.

Our main site has a lot of custom code. There are over 120 controllers across 11 projects in the solution. We're also using a lot of v7 only plugins/packages that we know we can't migrate to newer versions. Then within Umbraco there are 1200+ content nodes, 12,000+ media items and 27,000 members.

This site is also an upgraded/migrated site from v6 so our DocTypes are all using inheritance rather than compositions.

Has anyone else had to tackle something similar?

I'm thinking the best way to tackle this is to start with a fresh v9 site and rebuild the basic Doctypes and Templates then use something like CMS Import to migrate the content, media and members over. Then look at migrating the custom code over updating it from .Net Framework to .Net Core?

Does this seem like the best way to tackle this or have I missed something really obvious?

Cheers

Chris

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Apr 22, 2022 @ 16:17
    Mark Drake

I'm not a true backend developer. Take what I say next with a grain of salt!

We had some tricky migrations this past year as well. We have a number of nonprofits that we've helped throughout the years, and as you can imagine they don't budget for I.T. related services very well. So their installations grow outdated, and stale, and fall behind.

In the same situation as you, we've had some dumb luck where upgrading from 7, to 8, and to 9 just worked magically. Other installations benefited from us installing uSync, porting out the document types, media, content, etc - and importing it into the new install.

During one of my more epic failures, I discovered upgrade-assistant which is a command line argument with the .NET 6 SDK. The tool saved so much time, helped me audit the site, communicate the issues more clearly to my development team, get a more accurate scope and estimate for the work ahead, keep the client happy - etc.

You may already know about the upgrade assistant tool, but wanted to mention it in case you didn't!

• Yakov Lebski 553 posts 2117 karma points
    Apr 22, 2022 @ 16:20
    Yakov Lebski

I'm doing a similar project, I think building a new site and migrating content is riskier, than updating. For now, the biggest issue is an unsupported field that needs to be converted. But it need to be done in any case.

You can try to use Converge to migrate content

• Chris Smith 38 posts 141 karma points
    Apr 25, 2022 @ 10:35
    Chris Smith

Thanks for the recommendations, we weren't aware of the upgrade assistant or Converge so will definitely check those out.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft