Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil 37 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 28, 2022 @ 14:00
    Neil

Accessing parent $scope inside overlayService view

Can someone explain if it's possible (and if so, how) to access variables/functions on a angular controller, from inside a view loaded into the overlayService?

For clarity, here's an example of what I want to do;

in controllerName.controller.js;

angular.module("umbraco").controller("controllerName", function ($scope, overlayService) {
      $scope.foo = "bar"
      overlayService.open({
        view: "path/to/view.html",
      }
    }

in path/to/view.html

<div>{{$scope.foo}}</div>

Now, this obviously doesn't work as $scope does not exist inside the overlay view (I'm assuming it's completely scoped as a separate controller by Umbraco, on our behalf).

Is there an easy way to access "foo" from the parent scope?

• Kevin Jump 2312 posts 14698 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 28, 2022 @ 14:31
    Kevin Jump

Hi Niel,

you can pass the values you need on in the options for the overlay, and i think they then become accessible via $scope.model inside the overlay

e.g

angular.module("umbraco").controller("controllerName", function ($scope, overlayService) {    
      $scope.foo = "bar"
      overlayService.open({
        view: "path/to/view.html",
        foo: $scope.foo 
      }
    }

then in your view :

<div>{{model.foo}}</div>

(the $scope is implied when getting values inside the view - but also the $scope is that over the overlay not the controller that called it. )

As an example this is how uSync does it for one of the settings overlays https://github.com/KevinJump/uSync/blob/v9/main/uSync.Backoffice.Assets/App_Plugins/uSync/settings/settings.controller.js#L79-L93)

and the view https://github.com/KevinJump/uSync/blob/v9/main/uSync.Backoffice.Assets/App_Plugins/uSync/settings/settings.overlay.html

Apr 28, 2022 @ 14:40
    Neil

I tried that, but it makes a copy of the variable, so bindings don't work.

Maybe my example was too slimmed down.

I've got a promise that's firing as soon as the controller is loaded, and when the promise finishes, it sets a variable on the parent scope. I then want to be able to bind this on the overlays, so if the overlay is opened before the promise is resolved, it'll update once it is.

Hope that makes more sense.

• Kevin Jump 2312 posts 14698 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Apr 28, 2022 @ 14:45
    Kevin Jump

If you pass a model if the value you want inside it then usually that will be bound.

e.g.

function myController($scope,...)  {

var vm = this
      vm.myObject = { 
            foot = 'not loaded' 
       }

overlayService.open({ 
             myObject: vm.myObject 
       };
    }
    }

if the value myObject.foo is set when the promise returns then that should change inside the overlay too.

Although personally, i would either not show the option to display the overlay until the promise has finished, so have something like vm.loading = true; set it to false when the promise returns and wrap the page in <div ng-if="!vm.loading">

or i would have a dedicated controller for the overlay view and have that call the promise.

Apr 28, 2022 @ 14:48
    Neil

Ah of course, I'm currently passing it an Array, which will make a copy - but an object should be passed by reference, and thus should keep the changes.

I'll try wrapping it in an object and see what happens.

Edit: Yup, seems so obvious in hindsight. I was clearly staring at this for far too long!

Thanks for your help

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft