Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AbsolutelyN 85 posts 433 karma points
    May 03, 2022 @ 08:22
    AbsolutelyN

Has anyone else had problems with the KeepUserLoggedIn setting in v9? The docs show it as below but it doesn't seem to take effect. Does it need some other setting to be applied?

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/V9-Config/SecuritySettings/

"Umbraco": {
        "CMS": {
          "Security": {
            "KeepUserLoggedIn": true
          }
        }
    }

• Damian 61 posts 342 karma points
    May 05, 2022 @ 19:31
    Damian

Hey Friend! I have had issue with this same thing, wrote up a big ol forum post and had the idea before posting to check why my Cloud projects weren't having the same behaviour. When i copied over the corresponding settings from Cloud, i got it working and went on with my life not realizing until now that the documentation link you have provided is the source of confusion - it's the wrong key! I drew blood and lost many hours over this maddening issue and only now see the easily overlooked:

umbracoSecurity != Security

The (trimmed to be relevant only) section from my functioning appsettings:

},
        "umbracoSecurity": {
          "properties": {
            "AllowPasswordReset": {
              "description": "Indicating whether to allow user password reset",
              "type": "boolean",
              "default": true
            },
            "KeepUserLoggedIn": {
              "default": true
            }
          }
        }
      },

Hope this helps!

• Damian 61 posts 342 karma points
    May 05, 2022 @ 21:54
    Damian

^update: I've submitted a PR for the above documentation revision.

• AbsolutelyN 85 posts 433 karma points
    May 06, 2022 @ 08:34
    AbsolutelyN

Hi Damian

Many thanks for the input. Unfortunately I've tried your configuration but it still doesn't seem to work.

The configuration section in the source uses Constants.Configuration.ConfigSecurity

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/c0c9c50e2110a88afab800abbf0e4a6b6a08c62d/src/Umbraco.Core/Configuration/Models/SecuritySettings.cs

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/c0c9c50e2110a88afab800abbf0e4a6b6a08c62d/src/Umbraco.Core/Constants-Configuration.cs

So the source suggests it uses this key which is same as in the docs. Umbraco:CMS:Security

Also if you look at /umbraco/ServerVariables request when logged into back office it now shows false. It was true before when set according to the docs - it just didn't seem to take effect and people keep getting logged out if they leave the browser open for a while when logged in.

"umbracoSettings": {
        "keepUserLoggedIn": false,
      },

So still a bit baffled with this one.

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Mar 03, 2023 @ 11:39
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Has anybody solved this? In all of my Umbraco projects (v11.2.0, hosted on IIS), I have this issue that "keepUserLoggedIn": true has no effect, the backoffice session expires nevertheless.

The global TimeOut key, however, works as expected.

{
          "Global": {
            "TimeOut": "14.00:00:00"  <-- works as expected
          },
          "Security": {
            "KeepUserLoggedIn": true  <- has no effect
          }
        }
      }
    }

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    May 01, 2023 @ 00:09
    Chris Mahoney

Same issue here with 10.4.1. I see that 10.5 is now available but I haven't tested it (although I don't see anything in the change log about this issue).

Has anyone logged a bug? The only mention of KeepUserLoggedIn I can find is this one and it's a bit too complex for me!

Edit: I logged it.

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    Jun 26, 2023 @ 20:42
    Chris Mahoney

Umbraco has been unable to replicate the issue and my bug report has been closed.

In my sites I'm using Active Directory authentication. For anyone else with this issue, are you using AD as well, or regular Umbraco users? There must be something special about our environments but I'm not sure what it is.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft