Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    May 11, 2022 @ 16:14
    David Peck

Did you always need a query string value for debugging?

I've been doing my nut in trying to work out why Smidge was bundling my CSS/JS when debugging was turned on. I assumed debugging was turned on because I had set Umbraco:CMS:Hosting:Debug="true" as per the doc..

However when I checked the UmbracoContext it showed IsDebug == false. Which puzzled me. Looking deeper in to the code it appears that setting this config setting is not sufficient. You must also have a query value of umbdebug=true, umbdebugshowtrace=true or a cookie called UMB-DEBUG set to true. Has this always been the case? I don't recall running in to it before, and this is my first V9 site.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 12, 2022 @ 12:23
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

I'm not seeing this issue. What do you have in appsettings.Development.json file in the section Umbraco.Cms ? I have the following :

"Hosting": {
        "Debug": true
      },
      "RuntimeMinification": {
        "useInMemoryCache": true,
        "cacheBuster": "Timestamp"
      }

For production I have this in appsettings.json

"Hosting": {
        "Debug": false
      },
      "RuntimeMinification": {
        "useInMemoryCache": true,
        "CacheBuster": "AppDomain"
      }

Dave

May 12, 2022 @ 21:22
    David Peck

There was no issue with my config. However I expected this solely to flag IsDebugMode on, causing Smidge not to bundle for example. However this is not the case. You also need to add a query string (umbdebug) to trigger debug mode.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 13, 2022 @ 06:18
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

Like I said. Smidge is not bundling for me. I don't need to use the querystring.

How are using smidge to bundle. Do you create bundles using the runtimeminifier or are using the smidgehelper directly in your views ?

Dave

May 13, 2022 @ 09:54
    David Peck

OK. I think I worked it out.

My confusion came from this code: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/9326cc5fc64a85e8e7fc19ae7faa726e33c33480/src/Umbraco.Web.Common/UmbracoContext/UmbracoContext.cs#L121

I'm calling:

@await SmidgeHelper.CssHereAsync()
    @await SmidgeHelper.JsHereAsync()

as mentioned in the docs: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Fundamentals/Design/Stylesheets-Javascript/

However I don't think believe that this code accesses IsDebug or IsDebugMode. Instead using IRuntimeMinifier should result in a correct debug status.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft