Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Vainer 15 posts 96 karma points
    May 23, 2022 @ 09:15
    David Vainer

Umbraco 8 load balancing - Examine Indexers in Front servers

Hey, I'm working on load balancing my Umbraco 8 application using Flexible approach. My servers are hosted in AWS EC2 and I'm using its ALB feature to configure my load balancing. Right now I have two servers - Master server that is used for content editors, and one Front server that is used for our customers. Access to Umbraco is blocked in Front servers.
    I've configured scheduling and master election, seems like it works when it comes to Published Cache for example.
    Means that when I reload Memory Cache in Master server, it updates the Front server as well.
    In addition, when I make content changes in Umbraco, it is immediately updates in Front server as well and customers see the new changes.

However, when it comes to External & Internal Indexers, I see they are being updated in Master server after I rebuild them (Looking at last modify time), but I don't see they are modified in Front server.
    I'm not even sure how or if it's the best way ensure if it has worked or not, and how to solve it.

Hope you can help me out with this, Thanks :)

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 23, 2022 @ 10:14
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

The rebuilt from the backoffice does not trigger a rebuilt of the indexes from the backoffice on the front servers.

This will probably need a custom cache refresher to handle this on your frontend servers. See https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Cache/

And you will need to hook into examine to fire the cache refresher to when examine is rebuilt on your front end servers.

Dave

May 23, 2022 @ 11:08
    David Vainer

Would it be a legitimate solution to replicate the indexers folders from the Master server to the Front servers?
    I rather to avoid messing with cache beyond what is described in Flexible Load Balancing documentation can cause many problems...

May 23, 2022 @ 13:59
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

These folders should not be replicated.

Dave

May 23, 2022 @ 20:19
    David Vainer

Hey Dave, thanks for your responses. I must say that I couldn't understand how to deal with Examine Indexers specifically in Front servers, according to Cache documentation.

I hope you can explain to me briefly how should I approach that technically and logically. Thanks :)

May 24, 2022 @ 06:12
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

I never do anything special for examine when loadbalancing apart from the recommended configuration.

Normally when we publish on the Scheduling server the Front end servers get their examine indexes updated.

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft