Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ewuski 88 posts 234 karma points
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 11:58
    ewuski

Using 'Publish with descendants' NOT republishing nodes / not giving same effect as 'Save and publish' action

I have some content that after the upgrade to Umbraco 9 needs republish in order to display correct values on the front-end.

I am getting the same problem I was getting in Umbraco 7 - using republish node with descendants in the CMS does not really refresh the cache probably.

If I go to a particular page and click Save and publish button - this works - the values are correctly picked up in the front end.

If I use a Publish with descendants on the parent node - the page does not seem to republish and does not refresh the cache - it does not pick up the correct values on the front-end / values are missing in my case.

How does the Publish with descendants work and why is the effect different than Save and publish?

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 04, 2022 @ 22:33
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi ewuski,

I don't know why it's like that - but I do know that it has been that forever (or at least since Umbraco 4).

In situations where I've had to publish a lot of pages, I've put some code to do it programmatically using the ContentService in a temporary View file, and then called it manually using the alternate template syntax; (and deleted the View ASAP afterwards).

/Chriztian

• ewuski 88 posts 234 karma points
    Jun 20, 2022 @ 18:18
    ewuski

Thanks for replying.

The problem with the API is that you need to write the code to just save and publish the content batch while the button Publish with descendants makes people think it is supposed to do just this.

It is simply confusing and not doing what everybody thinks it's supposed to do.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft