Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Widenberg 21 posts 102 karma points
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 06:52
    Jonas Widenberg

Danish letter in hostname seems not to work

Hi. In Umbraco 9.5.1 I have an issue setting hostname containing special characters (the danish letter ø).

It's a multisite setup with two sites.

Site 1: site1.se (sv-se) site1.dk (da-dk)

Site 2: xmiljo.se (sv-se) xmiljø.dk (da-dk)

When browsing xmiljø.dk I reach the site1.dk, I guess because Danish is the system default language.

All domains have been added as bindings in the IIS and in Umbraco. It's hosted in Azure (not Umbraco cloud), but I can't get it to work locally either.

Has anyone come across this before and is there some fix for it? Thanks!

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 07:30
    Huw Reddick

pretty sure you can only use standard English characters (a-z, A-Z) in domain names

Jun 10, 2022 @ 07:35
    Huw Reddick

I was incorrect, it seems you can, but may cause issues. Are you hosting in IIS?

If you replace the ø with an english character, does it redirect correctly?

Jun 10, 2022 @ 11:24
    Jonas Widenberg

Locally I use IIS with the setup shown below. The site is hosted in Azure as a App Service. Where do you mean I should replace it with an English character? When requesting in the browser?

IIS

Umbraco

Jun 10, 2022 @ 12:10
    Huw Reddick

I would add both with and without the ø , if you do that does one work and the other not?

Is IIS able to server a bog standard website with a ø in the hostname? Same question for azure?

If they both resolve ok, then the issue is in the Umbraco parsing I guess, just trying to narrow down the cause.

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 10, 2022 @ 21:26
    Anders Bjerner

Domain names can only contain ASCII characters, so to support Unicode characters (like the Danish ø), you should use something called punycode.

When you enter miljø.mydomain.com in your browser, it will automatically convert the domain name to punycode, and make a request to xn--milj-jra.mydomain.com instead, so try adding this in Umbraco instead.

If you need a converter to help you out, this one is the first result when googling "punycode converter":

https://www.punycoder.com/

Hope that helps ;)

Jun 13, 2022 @ 13:36
    Jonas Widenberg

Wow! This was news to me. It worked like a charm!

Many thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft