Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Petrs 10 posts 90 karma points
    Jun 20, 2022 @ 14:21
    Petrs

Hello community, have any of you managed to get instagram feed on your site?

Thanks

• Corné Hoskam 80 posts 587 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2022 @ 10:54
    Corné Hoskam

Hi Petrs,

It appears that Instagram does not offer a feed option out of the box. After doing some googling there do seem to be several services out there that aggregate Instagram posts and allow for embedding said aggregations, but they are usually paid services. Worth searching for if you that's what you are interested in!

Hope this helped!

• Henrik Sunesen 84 posts 281 karma points
    Jul 08, 2022 @ 11:35
    Henrik Sunesen

Hi Petrs

I'm working on a solution. But there are a little bit of manual work required.

But as Corné mentioned, there isn't a free one-click out of the box plugin.

• Petrs 10 posts 90 karma points
    Jul 16, 2022 @ 07:16
    Petrs

Hello Henrik, that sounds great, I am interested, please let us know when you will have something done. Thanks

• Melvin van Rookhuizen 15 posts 41 karma points
    Sep 30, 2022 @ 09:50
    Melvin van Rookhuizen

Hi Henrik,

Did you get around to creating a solution? If not, we will be attempting something that can get as close to plug-n-play as we can.

Cheers, Melvin

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2022 @ 12:45
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

In a few Umbraco projects we have used https://elfsight.com/widgets/

It isn't free, but one of the cheaper options out there, yet flexible in configuration. They offer various widgets for e.g. Instagram and Facebook, but also a Social feed widget combining data from multiple sources.

It requires limited development since one basically just have to embed a snippet.

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 30, 2022 @ 11:10
    Anders Bjerner

It's still very much possible to Instagram's API.

In the past, we've had to use Instagram Platform API, which was deprecated a few years ago.

For simple use, it is now possible to use the Instagram Basic Display API. And also the Instagram Graph API for more advanced scenarios.

My Skybrud.Social.Instagram package supports both the Basic Display API and the Graph API.

The biggest problem with the new APIs is that you need to create a Facebook/Instagram app. I still haven't managed to get an app approved by Facebook, so the trick is to add Instagram users as test users to your app, as test users are allowed to authenticate with your app even if Facebook hasn't approved your app.

This Gist, which is still work progress, explains how to add an app for the Basic Display API:

https://gist.github.com/abjerner/859008711f51ae584836b72da56eb3b2

• Melvin van Rookhuizen 15 posts 41 karma points
    Sep 30, 2022 @ 11:23
    Melvin van Rookhuizen

Hi Anders,

Thanks for you input. I can recall that he app submission was one of the reasons we stopped this some time ago. Never got one approved as well. I will try and have a fresh and open look on things, and also explore all the other commercial 3dparty types. They seem to have smooths solutions we should be able to build as well. (well, not me.... my team ;-) )

Cheers, Melvin

Sep 30, 2022 @ 11:41
    Anders Bjerner

If it helps anything, I'm also working on an Umbraco package that will make some of this easier. The first alpha release will hopefully be out soon.

I'm not entirely sure on the timing. Umbraco may be introducing some logic for helping with OAuth integrations (such as Instagram), but it's still a very early draft PR. Either I wait for that, build something similar my self, or create something simpler to start out with.

Similar to my very old Skybrud.Social.Umbraco for Umbraco 7, this new package introduces a new property editor that lets a backoffice user sign in with their Instagram account, in which case the package stores an access token that you may use for accessing the API on behalf of that user.

At least for now, it's not the package's goal to actually show your recent Instagram images, but you can Skybrud.Social.Instagram for that once you have the access token.

The package also doesn't help with the fact that creating the app is painful. But creating an app in test mode and adding relevant users as test users would make this a bit more friendly. This would for instance mean that you need to add a client's Instagram account as a test user (the Gist explains a bit more about this).

I would be a bit cautious with third party services. Especially if they inject some JavaScript on your website in order to show images from Instagram, they could potentially set some tracking cookies or something similar. By talking directly with the API, you will avoid this, but it then also requires a bit more work on your end.

• Scott 95 posts 277 karma points
    Jun 06, 2023 @ 10:35
    Scott

Are there any updates on this package?

Skybrud.Social doesn't work for umbraco cloud 10 right?

Jun 06, 2023 @ 11:03
    Anders Bjerner

The old Umbraco package doesn't work with Umbraco 10. I did start on building an Umbraco package for integrating with Instagram (see the screenshots that I've previously in this thread), but ran in two a few issues:

1. ASP.NET Core doesn't offer a good way to handle encryption (of access tokens) out of the box. There isn't a concept like machine keys like in ASP.NET, so people would manually have to add an encryption key to appsettings.json before my package would work.

2. Upon successfully authenticating with Instagram, my package would save the credentials (user information and access token) in the database. I haven't figured out if these credentials should be locked to the the property for which they were added, or if users should be able to pick existing credentials already added in Umbraco. If the later, I haven't figured out whether all users should be able to pick between the already added credentials, or instead be restricted per site or per user.

Umbraco HQ is in the process of building a package to handle at least 1) - and maybe also 2). So I put a hold on my package so I didn't also have to implement this. Umbraco's package is scheduled to be released some time later this month. I might have a look at my package again once Umbraco's package has been released.

Anyways - Skybrud.Social is a small system of integration packages and .NET wrappers for various APIs. For instance the Skybrud.Social.Instagram package is a .NET wrapper for Instagram's Basic Display API and Graph API. This package doesn't know about Umbraco, but you can use it to communicate with these two APIs. The package targets .NET Standard, meaning you can use it for Umbraco 10 based projects - but using this package directly, you'll have to write the part that integrates with Instagram your self.

Aug 01, 2023 @ 12:55
    Henrik Sunesen

Hi Anders

I've also created a custom method to import instagram posts. And i'm curious about how you are handling the "Meta App"? I need to create a Meta app, and add the relevant package (Basic Display API). And then generate access the Instagram account that are chanied to the Meta account. So there are a lot of steps to get it to work :/

• PascalEugster 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 20, 2023 @ 11:22
    PascalEugster

is there already any news on this one?

Sep 20, 2023 @ 11:38
    Anders Bjerner

No, nothing new.

Building an Instagram package for Umbraco is not something that I actually need my self, but I've been playing around with it due to community requests. But unfortunately I haven't had the time to work on it for a while.

Sep 20, 2023 @ 13:03
    Henrik Sunesen

I have something that works, but I wouldn't say that it's a pretty solution :D

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Dec 05, 2023 @ 13:39
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Henrik,

You have something not pretty :-)

Would be interested in seeing what that looks like.

br
    Jesper

Dec 05, 2023 @ 20:22
    Henrik Sunesen

Hi Jesper,

It's my first time sharing something so excuse me if the code is kind of messy ;)

https://github.com/hsunesen/UmbracoInstagramImport

I've tried to make a guide in the readme file.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft