Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Edward 1 post 71 karma points
    Jun 29, 2022 @ 22:24
    Edward

Notification of changes to the page/contect you are working on

Hi All,

At the company I work for, there are several teams who update various parts of our website, some parts are shared between several teams. We have run into the problem of diferent people working on the same page, at the same time, and not knowing about the other person. Then the second person to save wipes the changes that the first person to save has made. We currently use Umbraco v7.

What I'd like to know is, are there any features of v8 or higher that would mittigate this issue? Like locking a page that is being worked on, or notification of a page you are working on being updated since you loaded it before saving. I've tried to find something in the documentation but I'm not sure what search terms to use, and the features lists are all too high level to show something like this.

I'd like to put forward a business case to the company to upgrade and this would be a good feature to include because it directly prevents lost work time. Any info, even a point in the right direction, would be helpful.

Cheers, Edward

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jul 03, 2022 @ 22:22
    Marc Goodson

Hi Edward

In V7, you should be able to 'roll back' to different people's last saved versions, if there is something important to salvage, but yes almost impossible to resolve two sets of changes to the same content and very frustrating.

In V8, it's made slightly worse, as it complete overwrites the history of the content item, back to the last publish...

There is a plugin developed by The Cogworks for V8, called Content Guard

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/content-guard/

that addresses this issue.

For V7, there was a package called 'Look Who's Editing Too': https://github.com/TimGeyssens/LookWhosEditingToo which I've never used personally, but might be worth investigating.

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft