Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ram Prahalad 11 posts 101 karma points
    Jul 12, 2022 @ 21:45
    Ram Prahalad

Upgrading from version 7.10.6 to 7.15

Hello All,

My first question here. I am tasked to convert our company website, which is in version 7.10.6 to 8.5.

I read articles on the site and I know I have to upgrade the site first to 7.15 from 7.10.6, even before I can think of converting it to 8+.

I have cloned the cloud setup locally and I am all set to go BUT I can't find a step-by-step article that shows me how to upgrade from 7.10.6 to 7.15. I am using VS Code and pointing to the folder where I have the site and hence, I don't have a csproj right off the source.

Can you please let me know the links to articles where it describes what steps I need to take to upgrade?

Thanks

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 06:37
    Søren Kottal

Download the files here: https://our.umbraco.com/download/releases/7158 and merge them with ones in your project. Be careful around the config files, I would suggest using git to control the changes - see this article: https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2014/upgrading-umbraco-using-git/.

Once you've got your files ready, start the site and run through the upgrade wizard.

• Ram Prahalad 11 posts 101 karma points
    Jul 13, 2022 @ 12:18
    Ram Prahalad

Appreciate it, @Soren! Thanks for your response.

Yes, followed the link and just got 2 errors but the upgrade went smoothly after the merge.

I had a quick question on the .sdf vs .mdf files. When I cloned it, I have both the sdf as well as mdf in my App_Data folder.

But during the migration to 8.5, if I point it to the existing sdf file (cloned), will it work or should I have to spattachdb to attach the .mdf file to Sql Express and use a userid and password to point to it and then let the migration of the schema changes to run, I guess my basic question here is, what do we do with the .sdf file vs the .mdf file while migrating it to 8.5?

Also, if that works and when I publish the changes, how will Umbraco system know to translate the schema changes of the .sdf to the actual Azure AD SQL Server?

My final question on this. How will the 'migration to 8.5 wizard' know to transform existing data as well to the new schema?

I have not reached that stage yet to convert it to 8.5 as testing is going on on the 7.15 upgrade.

But it would be great if you can please let me know the answers to the above questions.

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft