Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BTrigger 4 posts 94 karma points
    Jul 26, 2022 @ 17:35
    BTrigger

Unable to use properties of List<IPublishedContent> on view

Hi,

I have a content list wich im getting like this:

var selectedTestimonials = Umbraco.ContentAtRoot().Where(x => x.IsDocumentType("testimonialList")).FirstOrDefault().Children().OrderBy(t => Guid.NewGuid()).Take(10).ToList();

But then i can't use any item properties in the view unless i use a partial that takes the item as the model and inherits from:

@inherits Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Views.UmbracoViewPage<Testimonial>

Any idea of what im doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2022 @ 08:43
    Marc Goodson

Hi BTrigger

IPublishedContent is an interface that describes the key properties of a generic published content item in Umbraco, so you will see there are CreateDate, Id etc properties on your selectedTestimonials.

But that list isn't aware it's a list of Testimonial objects that implement IPublishedContent, which is why you can't see the properties you expect to be available.

You can access properties on an IPublishedContent using .Value<T>("propertyAlias") - but really you'd probably rather they were all Testimonial objects....

which you can achieve by using the .OfType<T>() extension method...

eg

var selectedTestimonials = Umbraco.ContentAtRoot().Where(x => x.IsDocumentType("testimonialList")).FirstOrDefault().Children().OfType<Testimonial>().OrderBy(t => Guid.NewGuid()).Take(10).ToList();

should result in a list of Testimonial objects and give you direct access to the properties.

regards

Marc

• BTrigger 4 posts 94 karma points
    Jul 27, 2022 @ 09:01
    BTrigger

Hi Marc,

Works like a charm! Thanks for the great explanation and solution!

Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft