Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Riccardo De Mace 9 posts 109 karma points
    Jul 28, 2022 @ 08:28
    Riccardo De Mace

Newsletter plugin for 10.x.x

Hi,

I was just starting using Umbraco for a work project, and i needed 2 plugins. The first one is a page builder that i found for the 10.x.x versions, the second one is a plugin for sending newsletter to clients.

The second plugin is nowhere to be found for the 10.x.x versions, is it possible that in this state of Umbraco is better to use a 9.x.x versions or even a 8.x.x versions?

I would really love to use NET 6 if possibile or at least .net core 3.1.

Thanks in advance.

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Jul 28, 2022 @ 14:50
    Simon Justesen

I think Umbraco HQ is moving at faster pace than plugin vendors can keep up with, to be honest. Or maybe the big Gold sponsors of Umbraco aren't sharing their derived products with the broader audience? I see this pattern by every version jump that Umbraco takes.

Perhaps it would be better if Umbraco was GPL licensed and not MIT licensed because it would - very strongly - encourage everyone to share their code. The GPL license does not prohibit selling a product for money, but source code of a derived work must be made available for people to download.

Or maybe the solution lies somewhere in between. I am all for the MIT license, because it is by far the least restrictive, however in this case I think it is actually hurting the ecosystem around Umbraco, because the MIT license makes it far too easy not to contribute back to the community, because there are no requirements in that regard.

Best chance is to hack something together yourself and encourage people to jump onboard also :)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 29, 2022 @ 06:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I think Umbraco HQ is moving at faster pace than plugin vendors can keep up with, to be honest.

I am biased but I don't feel that assertion is correct. We've been actively helping people move their packages to .NET Core and once they are, keeping up with the changes in major releases is sometimes a bit of work but nothing big to keep up with all the time.

More subjectively, I count dozens of packages updated just in the last week: https://www.nuget.org/packages?page=2&q=Tags%3A%22umbraco%22%2C%22package%22&sortBy=created-desc

Including Newsletter studio, which is now in beta for Umbraco 10 https://www.nuget.org/packages/NewsletterStudio/10.0.0-beta1

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Jul 29, 2022 @ 22:24
    Simon Justesen

We've been actively helping people move their packages to .NET Core once they are, keeping up with the changes in major releases is sometimes a bit of work but nothing big to keep up with all the time.

That's a step forward, and I think most people are wiling to wait for packages to become available, at least to a certain extent, since the .NET Framework and .NET Core is somewhat different from each other.

I have on several occasions been forced to hold back an Umbraco upgrade because a package wasn't available for the upgraded system. I could of course ask the client to pay me to put work into upgrading a particular package, but we are constantly being measured up against whatever Wordpress has to offer. Personally, I don't see it as a competition between two CMS'es, as we can happily coexist, but my clients clearly do.

More subjectively, I count dozens of packages updated just in the last week

Cool, but I see frequent questions on the forum about specific types of packages which are missing: off-the-shelf kinds of packages like: a forum package (uforum comes to mind, but it's only v7), an affordable ecommerce solution (Merchello, v7 only, not actively developed*). This forum itself is running on an old Umbraco 7 (it says so in the footer).

Looking at the package repo there are still a multitude of great packages that seem to have been abandoned, maybe it would be a great idea to choose a few and then direct community attention towards those packages, so that people will have something to choose from, whether they are looking for open source packages or commercial ones. (perhaps a task for the Package Team?)

Umbraco has some great commercial package offerings, but the open source side of the community needs some love too (like in the old days). It is part of what will make newcomers use the platform, especially startups and small businesses.

Including Newsletter studio, which is now in beta for Umbraco 10

Great! I highly recommend NS (but not running betas in production)

*) I may be interested in making an attempt to get Merchello working for Umbraco v10.

[post edited for clarity]

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft