Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Cordrey 11 posts 113 karma points
    Jul 29, 2022 @ 17:45
    James Cordrey

Remove Package and Content? Umbraco V10

Hey everyone,

So. I decided I wanted to take a look at the package Umbraco.TheStarterKit to see what was in it. After installing it and looking at it, I removed the NuGet Package, and rebuilt my site.

The Package is no longer listed, but the content settings it generated, (like BlogPost, Contact, Home, People, Etc.) remained. I'm not overly surprised by this, as the NuGet package wouldn't have had a way to do any cleanup once I removed it - but I'm wondering if I'm missing a way to remove everything a package may have added, or if it's just a manual process?

Thanks!

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 29, 2022 @ 18:00
    Dan Diplo

My understanding is that it might be theoretically possible for a package to remove content when uninstalling, I don't believe this ever happens, and probably for good reason. After all, a package can't really determine if you want the content it creates to remain or whether you are using any of the document types etc. Attempting to remove them could cause chaos!

I think your best course of action in future is to create a backup of your database or use something like uSync to create a "snapshot" you can restore.

• James Cordrey 11 posts 113 karma points
    Jul 29, 2022 @ 18:24
    James Cordrey

Yeah, that's what I expected.

I guess from a Desktop Software Perspective, there's the idea of "removing software" and then "removing software + user settings" as an option when you're uninstalling something. It'd be nice if Umbraco had that functionality.

But then it would also be nice if Packages couldn't overwrite existing content settings that I've created. That was really annoying to discover. Especially when, without cracking open the NuGet package and looking at everything, it's not really possible to know what's going to be added/modified/overwritten.

Oh well. You live and you learn.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft